Young, Restless and Reformed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it counts now that I am 30; but I was converted at 18 and was Reformed to some degree from the start (5 pointer from day 1). Today I am quite a bit more reformed than that .

I am excited to see God raising up young men to take on the Reformation mantle!

I've been Reformed since I was 18, and am now 26. My interest in 16th and 17th century history led me to read about the Reformers and Puritans, from which I heard of Calvinism, and came to embrace it as Biblical.

While I considered myself to be one of the recently "converted" calvinist, and I am happy that Reformed theology is gaining influences among the young, I think unless the current movement find its root in the Reformed confessions, the word "Reformed" is just going to be redefined and diluted and ultimately become as broad and meaningless as the word "Evangelical".

If puritanboard is any indication of the bigger Reformed world, the amount of redefining of the confessions or lip service subscription here is a reflection of what's happening outside... Make me appreciate the work of the moderators here more.

Just my :2cents:

I began to go down the '5-pointer' road, around the age of 27 or so. Initially I began to read around and about the subject to defend my Arminian views and then gradually realised the Bible didn't actually say what I thought or wanted it to say.
Now at the grand old age of 32, I have recently moved from the Reformed Baptist position to a more Presbyterian one so you could say I'm always reforming.
:wink:

I'm 18 and I have been going to a Presbyterian church all my life (even though it is PCUSA and we do have a woman pastor...:eek:) but we have a fairly conservative congregation. I have been Reformed as long as I can remember but I didn't fully understand and come to terms with my beliefs till I was about 16.

I am concerned that some of the growth spurt in Calvinism, is due to the fact that Calvinism is currently cool: we have a lot of cool leaders (some bald and bearded), we do a lot of cool things (like drink and smoke), and we have something of the new coolness of a Scott Adams who however dweeby he may really be is very good at making fun of things. But "cool" is an unattainable myth (because it's about projecting indifference, but to project it right you have to care enough to pay great attention to detail in personal grooming), and so what currently rates as cool may very soon not be. Those who are Calvinists because it is cool to be so, will not last if the cool theological thing becomes open theism or whatever.

I am concerned that some of the growth spurt in Calvinism, is due to the fact that Calvinism is currently cool: we have a lot of cool leaders (some bald and bearded), we do a lot of cool things (like drink and smoke), and we have something of the new coolness of a Scott Adams who however dweeby he may really be is very good at making fun of things. But "cool" is an unattainable myth (because it's about projecting indifference, but to project it right you have to care enough to pay great attention to detail in personal grooming), and so what currently rates as cool may very soon not be. Those who are Calvinists because it is cool to be so, will not last if the cool theological thing becomes open theism or whatever.

I think we've already seen this over the past few years with those who were infatuated with Calvinism moving on to emergent, FV, or whatever else seems more appealing at the moment.

I think we've already seen this over the past few years with those who were infatuated with Calvinism moving on to emergent, FV, or whatever else seems more appealing at the moment.

Two words: Rob Schlapfer.

I didn't even have him in mind, but that is a good example of someone who basically went emergent and who blamed the problems he had running his business on meanie Calvinists.

:worms:

according to my profile, i am about 9...i think, i can't remember what it said the last time i looked. I am 27...reformed at the age of 19; went through the "militant" calvinist swing and finally mellowed.

according to my profile, i am about 9...i think, i can't remember what it said the last time i looked. I am 27...reformed at the age of 19; went through the "militant" calvinist swing and finally mellowed.

Cage stage, you mean? Didn't we all! :lol:

mmmm wormy goodness. :D

I could've said John Armstrong or Doug Wilson (*ducks*)

I don't know if Armstrong and Wilson qualify as "young" anymore *ducks*
At least not what is contemplated in this book. At 34, I don't know that I am what is in view either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back