Your Church's Sermon - 04/03/2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Tyler,

Like I said (quite tongue-in-cheek!), he's a stalwart of reformed theology...ha! Just teasing. Rogers was an excellent textual preacher and he had a knack for saying things in a way that stuck with his hearers. I think he's probably my favorite non-Reformed preacher.

Thanks for your kind words re: my preaching. I am still working my way through the Psalms on Wednesday evenings. We're about to begin studying Psalm 18 (yes, I'm slow). I delight in preaching the Psalms, and Psalm 32 had basically grabbed me by the throat for a couple of weeks, demanding to be preached to the whole congregation...so I gave it my best shot in our Lord's Day PM worship. I suppose my struggle with the sermon is that the text is so magnificent and full; and I felt that I wasn't able to do it justice.

Some days, even my best shots run out of steam and flop to the ground, lifeless. And I'm learning in those moments to give thanks to God, who works through his powerful Word, that the excellency of the power is of him and not me. The covenant of grace is sure and ordered in all things; the Spirit is sovereign and works what he wills, as he wills, in the hearts of God's elect; and the word of the cross is life unto life. My wisdom may be (and often is!) in short supply, my communication may be bungled, my attempts at exposition may be feeble and struggling; but God's word is not chained.

So there you have it. Now you know how to pray for me! ;)

That stalwart of reformed theology, Adrian Rogers, once said, "If you lay an egg, stand back and admire it."

:rofl:

You have to admit that the man had a way with words, and a rather distinctive voice. I think that I might be able to listen to him reading the phone book... :)

I honestly have never heard him. Really, I had never heard of him until I heard about his debate with James White over Calvinism.

Regarding your sermons from this Sabbath, I am happy to hear that you are able to take refuge in God's use of his own ordinances. If it is any consolation, the time I came to hear you preach, I found you a very clear communicator. Are you still working your way through the Psalms? Is that the context of your sermon from Psalm 32?

Rogers was a key player in the conservative counterrevolution in the SBC in the 1970s and 80s. He was one of the public faces (winning at the 1979 convention where the conservatives began to take back control). The SBC today might well look like the PCUSA or ECUSA were it not for the work done by Rogers, and Pressler, and Patterson.

That stalwart of reformed theology, Adrian Rogers, once said, "If you lay an egg, stand back and admire it."

:rofl:

You have to admit that the man had a way with words, and a rather distinctive voice. I think that I might be able to listen to him reading the phone book... :)

I honestly have never heard him. Really, I had never heard of him until I heard about his debate with James White over Calvinism.

Regarding your sermons from this Sabbath, I am happy to hear that you are able to take refuge in God's use of his own ordinances. If it is any consolation, the time I came to hear you preach, I found you a very clear communicator. Are you still working your way through the Psalms? Is that the context of your sermon from Psalm 32?

Rogers was a key player in the conservative counterrevolution in the SBC in the 1970s and 80s. He was one of the public faces (winning at the 1979 convention where the conservatives began to take back control). The SBC today might well look like the PCUSA or ECUSA were it not for the work done by Rogers, and Pressler, and Patterson.

Wow. I had no idea. I had heard that the Southern Baptist seminaries had been given over to liberalism in the 70s, but I've never heard much about the battles over doctrine.

The SBC churches I grew up in didn't have a trace of liberalism. Only flabby arminianism.

The SBC underwent a reformation of sorts in the Conservative Resurgence. What's been interesting (read: odd) to me is how some folks in the SBC who went through the CR still struggle to understand the renewed interest in theology and expository preaching. It's only logical to me: my father's (also an SBC pastor) generation fought the battle for the Bible's inspiration and inerrancy, and I therefore grew up in churches where those truths were a given. So it's a natural consequence that -- since we were able to focus on the Bible's content, not having to give the lion's share of our concentration to crafting arguments for its validity -- we would build on the foundation they laid for us.

Just my $0.02.

Sorry to derail the thread. Back to discussing Sunday's sermons! :)

Last edited:
1 John 5:7.
It was most excellent. It followed a Christian Education Class on the positive canonical authenticity of the same while simultaneously rejecting the KJVO Camp.
:popcorn:

The SBC underwent a reformation of sorts in the Conservative Resurgence. What's been interesting (read: odd) to me is how some folks in the SBC who went through the CR still struggle to understand the renewed interest in theology and expository preaching. It's only logical to me: my father's (also an SBC pastor) generation fought the battle for the Bible's inspiration and inerrancy, and I therefore grew up in churches where those truths were a given. So it's a natural consequence that -- since we were able to focus on the Bible's content, not having to give the lion's share of our concentration to crafting arguments for its validity -- we would build on the foundation they laid for us.

Just my $0.02.

Sorry to derail the thread. Back to discussing Sunday's sermons! :)

Reagan,

Agreed. I remember as a child hearing my pastor say, "I'm a Baptist because I believe it's closest to the Bible. If I believed something else was closer, I'd be something else." By God's grace, I've tried to live by that principle (after a period of rebellion in my teens), and it has led me to a place rather distant from my childhood pastor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back