Your definition of regeneration

Status
Not open for further replies.

fralo4truth

Puritan Board Freshman
One of the most frustrating things that I find in studying regeneration is what does it actually refer to? Some men tend to view the whole saving process as kind of a step-by-step model, where there is an initial quickening of God's Spirit followed, either logically or in order of time, by a deliverance component. Others seem to glob the whole thing together and refer to the saving process as an instantaneous event. When I read certain writers and I hear them thus say that regeneration is through means and then others say that regeneration is not through means, they could both be correct, depending on how they define the term. And this confuses me.

If one means the initial quickening of the Spirit then I kind of lean toward the belief that it is not through means. But the deliverance aspect of it is through means which I think is taught by James 1:18. There the expression is 'begat' presupposing a 'conception' component having already logically occurred.

Do any of you struggle with this like I do?

Consider Pink's words. He expresses it better than me.

"We shall now confine ourselves to the initial operation of the Spirit within the elect of God. Different writers have employed the term "regeneration" with varying latitude: some restricting it unto a single act, others including the whole process by which one becomes a conscious child of God. This has hindered close accuracy of thought, and has introduced considerable confusion through the confounding of things which, though intimately related, are quite distinct. Not only has confusion of thought resulted from a loose use of terms, but serious divisions among professing saints have issued therefrom. We believe that much, if not all, of this would have been avoided had theologians discriminated more sharply and clearly between the principle of grace (spiritual life) which the Spirit first imparts unto the soul, and His consequent stirrings of that principle into exercise."

He then will go on to say:

"James 1:18, 1 Peter 1:23, and parallel passages, refer not to the original communication of spiritual life to the soul, but rather to our being enabled to act from that life and induced to love and obey God by means of the Word of Truth�which presupposes a principle of grace already planted in the heart. In His work of illumination, conviction, conversion, and sanctification, the Spirit uses the Word as the means thereto, but in His initial work of "quickening" He employs no means, operating immediately or directly upon the soul. First there is a "new creation" (2 Cor. 5:17; Eph. 2:10), and then the "new creature" is stirred into exercise. Faith and all other graces are wrought in us by the Spirit through the instrumentality of the Word, but not so with the principle of life and grace from which these graces proceed.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter. If you know of any works which might help me on this issue, I would love to know of them.

God Bless friends.

Regeneration is, as I understand it, the unilateral, monergistic and instantaneous work of the Holy Spirit in bringing the dead sinner to new life (new birth)

Faith follows from a new (good) heart

Conversion is a lifelong following after Christ and growth in grace

As I understand it regeneration is the doctrine of rebirth. It is being born again.

John 3:3 KJV
[3] Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

The natural man is spiritually dead. He cannot know the things of God.

1 Corinthians 2:14 KJV
[14] But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Ephesians 2:1-3 KJV
[1] And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
[2] Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
[3] Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

That is the state of the old man. The new man is a new creation. God does a work in our hearts giving us a new nature where we are then free to choose to do good things like follow Christ because our wills are no longer bound to sin.

2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV
[17] Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Ephesians 4:23-24 KJV
[23] And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
[24] And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Colossians 3:1-10 KJV
[1] If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
[2] Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
[3] For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
[4] When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
[5] Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
[6] For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:
[7] In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.
[8] But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
[9] Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
[10] And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

This is an excellent sermon by Paul Washer (a baptist). In it he describes regeneration very well. He does a good job on this sermon and it is well worth the time to hear it. As a matter of fact the sermon is so good that the time just flies by.

[video=youtube;UZ_26AE0G_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ_26AE0G_8[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back