Your Desert Island Bible?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas

Puritan Board Doctor
OK, I know some of you are going to think, "Wait a minute! He has done a favorite Translation Thread!" So I have! BUT this is different. A number of you were a tad ;) evasive, responding with everything from "Bible Gateway" to "I cannot decide!" I shall make it easier! (I am such a sweet guy after all!" Plus, we have a lot of new Members since the last poll, So here goes: I am sticking you on an Island with food for 2 years and plenty of water. You only get one book to read, the Bible, you can only have ONE translation. No responding with editions with multiple texts!:) What Translation? Share why if you will. Grace and Peace. MBC:book2::book2::book2::popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
NASB

Mostly because I am familiar with it, and my NASB is nice and big with plenty of margin room for my notes during my two-year stint on the island. :lol:

I'll take my ESV Reformation Study Bible.

My second choice would be this one.
BBCoverLarge.jpg

Every Sunday with my son on my lap, as the pastor begins to read scripture I quickly race to the dynamic equivalent pages of The Beginner's Bible and we follow along looking at the pictures. It's fun and a challenge. Yes, there are some illustrations of 'Jimmy the Shepherd' in there. I blurred out 'Jimmy' on the cover.

The Original Hebrew and Greek.

Mind you, there is probably more chance of me being stuck on a desert island than there is of me learning these languages. :violin:

You said one book to read "the bible", but can it come in two halves?

I would go with
The UBS Greek New Testament: A Reader's Edition and
A Reader's Hebrew Bible

if I'm stuck on an island for two years, might as well spend it getting a LOT better at greek and hebrew.

If those aren't allowed as choices I would bring my ESV Reformation Study Bible but if I was stranded AFTER this October I might switch my choice to ESV Study Bible instead.

It is the AV for me. I was brought up reading it but when I came to know the Lord I ended up using the NIV & was a little taken aback when i read the Lords prayer. The last section of it
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
was missing the same was true of the ESV & a number of other translations that i checked. This led me to do a short study:gpl: on why whole verses were missing in certain translations. The result of this study was that the AV was the Bible for me.

A conclusion that came out of my study was that essentially they all contain the same message & if anyone was worried about what translation to use i would suggest taking it in prayer & let God guide you to His word.

AV, ESV, NIV, NKJV, ASV, NLT etc Many different Bibles but all God's word.

Nice to meet you all by the way :eek:)

hmm....

I would have initially said the Reformation Study Bible but after thinking about it, I might go for something like an NASB or AV chain reference.

:think: If you won't let me make the case that "the entire Bible is found in the 6 volumes of Matthew Henry's Commentary (so, I therefore should like to take that!)" :p -- I'd have to settle for The New Geneva Study Bible (NKJV).:D

King Jimmy!! Scrivener's Cambridge Paragraph Bible specifically.

Nice new avatar etexas, is that you?

If I'm stranded I would probably take the NET Bible. Those translation notes are golden and provide more than enough information for me to chew on for two years.

I might also, like a previous poster said, want to bring the Greek and Hebrew Readers editions.

If I had to chose between the two, I would probably pick the NET Bible, because it is loaded with Greek and Hebrew in the footnotes and so is about as close to best to both worlds that I could get.

On the flip side, I would hate to lose my Greek and Hebrew skills.....

AHHHHH!!!!!!!

If I'm stranded I would probably take the NET Bible. Those translation notes are golden and provide more than enough information for me to chew on for two years.

I might also, like a previous poster said, want to bring the Greek and Hebrew Readers editions.

If I had to chose between the two, I would probably pick the NET Bible, because it is loaded with Greek and Hebrew in the footnotes and so is about as close to best to both worlds that I could get.

On the flip side, I would hate to lose my Greek and Hebrew skills.....

AHHHHH!!!!!!!
Hey, I never said I was making this easy Brother.;) But it is just two years.:):book2::popcorn:

Spirit of the Reformation study bible. Even though it is NIV. Since we are in make believe land. Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible edition II in ESV. ;)

NIV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible - for the notes (not the translation)

OR

The Reformation Study Bible (ESV)

However, since we can only take one Bible, I guess the following should go to some of the rest of you.

For Grymir . . . The Karl Barth Dialectical Study Bible
For Greenbaggins . . . The Authorized Federal Vision Version
For Joshua . . . "You Might be a Redneck If" Study Bible
For JOwen . . . The Zero Population Growth Annotated Bible
For Davidius . . . Versio Vulgata (of course)
For Daniel Ritchie . . . The Praise and Worship Study Bible
For etexas . . . The Living Bible
For Ivan . . . The New Arminian Standard Version
For Ivanhoe . . . The Patriot's Americanism Bible
For Jerusalem Blade . . . That's easy . . . practically any recent translation or paraphrase
For North Jersey Baptist . . . The Revised Singing in the Shower Version
For Naphtali Press . . . The Joel Osteen "You Can Be A Better You" Version
For Pilgrim . . . The Revised Parallel Credo - Paedo Study Bible
For py3ak . . . Dios habla hoy (1979)
For Semper Fidelis . . . Either the Mennonite Peace Bible or the Four Spiritual Laws Study Bible
For VirginiaHuguenot . . . Begining Readers Version

Sorry folks, that is all of the Bibles I had on my shelf.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back