Your Desert Island Bible?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops! I found a few more Bibles on my shelf and wanted to pass them out to some friends.

For MrMerlin777 . . . The Sailor's Bible
For PuritanCovenanter . . . The Holy Harley Version
For todpeddlar . . . The Mathematical Version with Feynman Annotations
For turmeric . . . The Feminist (NOT) Study Bible

The ESV. It's a very pleasant and accurate translation. Which will be a big help if I'm going to be eating Spam for two years...

51v2ScickdL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Just Kidding ... :eek::eek:

Reformation Study Bible

NIV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible - for the notes (not the translation)

OR

The Reformation Study Bible (ESV)

However, since we can only take one Bible, I guess the following should go to some of the rest of you.

For Grymir . . . The Karl Barth Dialectical Study Bible
For Greenbaggins . . . The Authorized Federal Vision Version
For Joshua . . . "You Might be a Redneck If" Study Bible
For JOwen . . . The Zero Population Growth Annotated Bible
For Davidius . . . Versio Vulgata (of course)
For Daniel Ritchie . . . The Praise and Worship Study Bible
For etexas . . . The Living Bible
For Ivan . . . The New Arminian Standard Version
For Ivanhoe . . . The Patriot's Americanism Bible
For Jerusalem Blade . . . That's easy . . . practically any recent translation or paraphrase
For North Jersey Baptist . . . The Revised Singing in the Shower Version
For Naphtali Press . . . The Joel Osteen "You Can Be A Better You" Version
For Pilgrim . . . The Revised Parallel Credo - Paedo Study Bible
For py3ak . . . Dios habla hoy (1979)
For Semper Fidelis . . . Either the Mennonite Peace Bible or the Four Spiritual Laws Study Bible
For VirginiaHuguenot . . . Begining Readers Version

Sorry folks, that is all of the Bibles I had on my shelf.

Most excellent! Very funny.:lol:

OR

However, since we can only take one Bible, I guess the following should go to some of the rest of you.

For Jerusalem Blade . . . That's easy . . . practically any recent translation or paraphrase
For Semper Fidelis . . . Either the Mennonite Peace Bible or the Four Spiritual Laws Study Bible

:rofl::rofl:

thanks for the Bible to take on my trip to the island! It still won't make me a liberal. :lol: On the one hand, it would open the secrets of man made divine revelation to me, on the other hand, I might have a 'divine' intersection awaiting me. as I go STARK RAVING MAD!!!!!

The Parellel Credo - Paedo Bible, I'm still laughing.

Don't let Osteen see this list, you'll give him ideas. (actually I'm supprised he hasn't done a Bible yet)

Great Job!!!

If we can do study Bibles, then I'll have the Johnny Mac Study Bible with the ESV translation. I know it doesn't exist, but it's more likely that it would be published with the ESV translation than the chances that I would be on a desert island with a two-years supply of food and a Bible of my choice.

OR

:rofl: Pure genius. My second choice - after "The Praise and Worship Study Bible" - would be the "Soccer is My Favourite Sport Study Bible".

The Original Hebrew and Greek.

Mind you, there is probably more chance of me being stuck on a desert island than there is of me learning these languages. :violin:
OK Daniel, I thought about it, and this pains me my Friend, but I cannot allow your choice. In all probability it would involve more than one volume. But I was not very clear, you MUST use an English Translation.:judge:

The 1599 Geneva Bible.

I am not an AV-only advocate, but being the limitations and the amount of time I do believe that I could gain the most from this as a single source than a modern translation that requires multiple reference materials to understand the grammar.

I chose the Geneva over a plain AV text bible because in two years I will have little to do but read the scriptures (since you are catering all meals, thanks btw) and this bible in particular will allow me to be guided by the church at the same time. I don't want to be a Eunuch with no Phillip for two years :)

Now if only a Geneva bible existed with the psalms in meter included (I may have to smuggle a pocket Psalter rather than lacking grace in my heart for two years in private worship).

The 1599 Geneva Bible.

I am not an AV-only advocate, but being the limitations and the amount of time I do believe that I could gain the most from this as a single source than a modern translation that requires multiple reference materials to understand the grammar.

I chose the Geneva over a plain AV text bible because in two years I will have little to do but read the scriptures (since you are catering all meals, thanks btw) and this bible in particular will allow me to be guided by the church at the same time. I don't want to be a Eunuch with no Phillip for two years :)

Now if only a Geneva bible existed with the psalms in meter included (I may have to smuggle a pocket Psalter rather than lacking grace in my heart for two years in private worship).
You may sing the Psalms (or Chant them) in your worship. I think the Lord would honor that. Good choice by the way!:):):book2::popcorn:

Mind you, there is probably more chance of me being stuck on a desert island than there is of me learning these languages. :violin:
OK Daniel, I thought about it, and this pains me my Friend, but I cannot allow your choice. In all probability it would involve more than one volume. But I was not very clear, you MUST use an English Translation.:judge:

But this is a confessional board etexas? How can you disallow the original Hebrew and Greek when the WCF says that all controversies in religion must be resolved by consulting them. :banghead:

But this is a confessional board etexas? How can you disallow the original Hebrew and Greek when the WCF says that all controversies in religion must be resolved by consulting them. :banghead:
Easily, it is my thread!:lol::lol::lol:

:eek: Warning, etexas is unconfessional! Warning, extexas is unconfessional! :eek:...or maybe he has just revised the WCF without telling us. ;)

If we're just looking for text, I'd go with the NASB primarily because it is what I am used to and I am somewhat wary of a dynamic equivalence translation as my only reference. If we're looking at notes too, that might swing me to the NIV in the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible -- I often have both the NASB and Reformation Bibles open in front of me while studying in my nice safe home. Now if I could get them both in the same Bible, that would be great.

:eek: Warning, etexas is unconfessional! Warning, extexas is unconfessional! :eek:...or maybe he has just revised the WCF without telling us. ;)
You had best make a choice my Irish Brother....OR I will leave you with a randomly selected comic book!:lol::lol::popcorn:

Sorry, I just looked at my copy and am disappointed to see that it does not have the KJV for the English, but Jay Green's "Literal Translation" (LT) — unlike his Greek-English Interlinear New Testament, which has the LT and the AV.

So I must say I would not take it on the island. I'd take my plain AV.

Daniel, you are the only person who would have a controversy of religion while stranded alone on a desert island!

Dennis, thanks, but I'd take the RV 1909 or 1960 over the Dios Habla Hoy.

But I might have to take an AV Reverse Interlinear if we start this little experiment before my Hebrews gets off the ground.

Dennis, thanks, but I'd take the RV 1909 or 1960 over the Dios Habla Hoy.

I know. That's why I suggested it. It was intended to be sarcasm, not to be helpful. My non-Spanish speaker's understanding is that it would be a fairly paraphrastic version, like the Good News Bible. If I'm incorrect on that, then the joke is on me.

Interlinear Bible is tempting, so is Geneva. My choice however would probably be the NKJV Reformation Study Bible...

Unless we can say Bibles which don't exist yet, so then I say NASB Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible. :book2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back