Your most trusted teachers/Authors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been greatly blessed by sermons from Tim Keller, John Piper, and John MacArthur (probably in that order), and have noted for a while that I could probably add Sinclair Ferguson and Alistair Begg to that list. The list being preachers who are sort of my "go-to" if I'm looking for a sermon on a particular passage or topic. J Vernon Magee used to be on that list, but while I still think on the whole he's probably more good than bad, I removed him from my personal mental repository once I realized how very non-reformed he is in just about every way. I also greatly appreciate the pastors from the churches I've attended in my adult life:

Chuck Jacob, currently senior pastor at Church of the Good Shepherd PCA in Durham, NC. His sermons can be found here.
Bob Lynn, currently the head preaching pastor at Knox EPC in Ann Arbor, MI. His sermons can be found here.
Andrew VanderMaas and Steve Holladay, senior and associate pastors at Christ Church PCA in Grand Rapids, MI. Their sermons can be found here.

Hello, David P.—welcome to PB!

However, when you say, "I would recommend that you select your mentors based on what they hold Scripture to say", and then give your following list of authors and accompanying diatribes, you are begging the question, assuming things you have yet to prove, and stating as facts things quite moot!

Such as, "Amillenialists are sitting quietly on the fringes of society, passive and uninvolved in much of anything, with their hands folded, very much like the premil-Dispensationalists except they don't watch the Tim LaHaye 'Left Behind' movies." That is such an obvious strawman stereotype you but disqualify yourself as incapable of irenic and educated discussion on eschatology! If you're going to come on here guns blazing at least make sure you can hit what you're aiming at. Some of us amils (two "n"s in the word, please) are on the front lines of enlarging and fortifying the kingdom of Christ, spoiling the strongman's goods and bringing them into the Keep of grace.

Not an auspicious entrée!

I would recommend that you select your mentors based on what they hold Scripture to say

Indeed we must be cautious, and no doubt most of us on this board are equally wary of Dispensationalism. However many of us are also wary of theonomy, and so I would suggest you take some time to sit back and learn before so arrogantly proclaiming yourself to be the arbiter of theological truth.

When it comes to heresy, the clearest illustration shows the historic creeds dead center. To be a Christian, you must hold to these truths. Around that circle, place doctrine. You can still hit dead center, but will find differences among believers. You may be humbly in fellowship with all believers. Now to the OP. I may have some heartburn with Ligonier, but I have listened profitably to many of their lectures. Also, with most of the solidly reformed guys, Dr. Ferguson et.al, you will benefit the most by listening through entire sermon series rather than sporadically nibbling. Doing so will deepen your understanding of scripture, but also will help you understand the scriptural basis for systems of doctrine.

I would suggest you take some time to sit back and learn before so arrogantly proclaiming yourself to be the arbiter of theological truth.

Hi David,

We're glad that you're here at the PB, and certainly welcome you and your interaction in the various discussions!

I would, however, echo our brother's counsel (quoted above). Most of the folks here at the PB are sincere and earnest in the Reformed faith, and they couple godly piety with sober-mindedness, patience, and skill in handling the Bible. They don't generally appreciate broad-brushing or demeaning speech, though, as not honoring the 9th Commandment.

But I'm sure that such speech wasn't your intention, brother, and so I look forward to discussing the beauties of our God and Saviour with you!

Grace to you.

If we are talking sermon audio, then I have been greatly benefitting from listening to Gavin Beers sermons recently.
And also as stated above, a big tick for the godly council that comes directly from the Ministers and Elders that frequent this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back