Your one year study of a Gospel?

Gospel Study!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas

Puritan Board Doctor
Suppose an offer was presented to you, a deep line by line examination of one of the Gospels, under the care of the best Reformed NT Teacher alive. As stated you will be going line by line looking at the Greek, (and if your Greek is like mine, not so hot LOTS of parsing codes :)) This will be around a one year study. Catch, you must select one Gospel! And yes, I am putting you on the "spot" again Brethren, so! Choose wisely and carefully! If you would state why you selected your Gospel.:book2::book2::popcorn:

Hard choice, but with one year I would select St. Luke. I have always like it's scope and it is a Literary Masterpiece!:2cents::popcorn:

I would choose Matthew for a couple of reasons. One I like the Jewish context in which its written, there are numerous references to the OT. It causes someone to research the Old Testament when studying through the text, which provides a thorough understaning of what Christ is refering to in the Gospel. In addition, I like how Christ expands on the Law of God in Chapter 5.

I would choose Matthew for a couple of reasons. One I like the Jewish context in which its written, there are numerous references to the OT. It causes someone to research the Old Testament when studying through the text, which provides a thorough understaning of what Christ is refering to in the Gospel. In addition, I like how Christ expands on the Law of God in Chapter 5.
Good choice!:)

Ditto to above if it was two part I would say Luke then Acts together.

But I chose John since it is the most mystical of the four. Spend a lot of time on John 1 and its implications.

Then again Matthew would be good because of the Olivet Discourse.

I assume the professor somehow survived the crash and is on the same desert island with our favorite bible. Maybe it was one of those R.C. Sproul cruises and the ship sank.

I voted John, because of the personal nature of his writing and I think it has a well rounded presentation of the gospel and the Savior.

Do we also get to choose "the best Reformed NT Teacher alive"? :think:

I voted John, because of the personal nature of his writing and I think it has a well rounded presentation of the gospel and the Savior.

YES! You get to select the ANY NT Scholar you wish, one on one!:):):) Some asked if this was like my desert island scenario. No, not at all, you will be have all 66 books of the Holy-Writ, you ONLY have to decide which Gospel you want your NT Scholar of choice to study, any other Bible books would be for you to study on your own time.:) Hey! This is a pretty good deal here! Better than the desert island!:lol::popcorn:

YES! You get to select the ANY NT Scholar you wish, one on one!:):):) Some asked if this was like my desert island scenario. No, not at all, you will be have all 66 books of the Holy-Writ, you ONLY have to decide which Gospel you want your NT Scholar of choice to study, any other Bible books would be for you to study on your own time.:) Hey! This is a pretty good deal here! Better than the desert island!:lol::popcorn:

Cool! I'll have to give this some thought. Unless your supplying a list of of scholars as well. :)

Cool! I'll have to give this some thought. Unless your supplying a list of of scholars as well. :)
Nope! The selection of a Scholar is totally up to you!:):book2::popcorn:

Naturally I would want to study the best named Gospel. The obvious choice then being the Gospel of Mark. :D

Naturally I would want to study the best named Gospel. The obvious choice then being the Gospel of Mark. :D
Chuckle! Are you being "name biased :)" I like what Luther called the Gospel of Mark:"That robust little Gospel." Very apt, I always have liked that.:book2::popcorn:

I chose John's Gospel

I would especially enjoy the exposition of chapter 6 of John.

:think: Not sure yet who I would pick as a NT scholar to have instruct me. I am open to suggestions. :)

I would especially enjoy the exposition of chapter 6 of John.

:think: Not sure yet who I would pick as a NT scholar to have instruct me. I am open to suggestions. :)
Actually, I will open options of who to study with a bit more (feeling generous:)) it can be a NT Scholar from anywhere you wish or if you wish, it can be a more "general" Theologian, or it can be a Pastor, think of this as an ultimate wish. You get your scholar, Theologian, or Pastor 5 days a week for one hour, for a year, the ULTIMATE Bible study.:):):book2::popcorn:

I voted John, and I would want R.C. Sproul to teach me. I pick it because it's loaded with theology, and well, do I need to explain my choice of R. C.?

Etexas, I noticed you put the saint in front of the gospel writers names, are you going Roman Catholic on us? :lol:

:lol: Timothy!

I would go with John since there are a lot of phrases in John that are really hard to understand, more then reading through the Synoptics, in my opinion.

The bad thing is John doesn't have many parables:doh:. Luke has many and I would love to figure out the meaning to all the parables.

Good thread idea. :)

I voted John, and I would want R.C. Sproul to teach me. I pick it because it's loaded with theology, and well, do I need to explain my choice of R. C.?

Etexas, I noticed you put the saint in front of the gospel writers names, are you going Roman Catholic on us? :lol:
:lol: Not at all. The St. as preface to the name of the 4 Gospel writers continued into the Reformation, to this day some KJV Cambridge Editions use this tradition, I have no issue with it, the Bible itself refers to true believers as Saints. :2cents:

:lol: Timothy!

I would go with John since there are a lot of phrases in John that are really hard to understand, more then reading through the Synoptics, in my opinion.

The bad thing is John doesn't have many parables:doh:. Luke has many and I would love to figure out the meaning to all the parables.

Good thread idea. :)
Thank you Andrew! Glad you like it, hey, every now and then I come up with a cool idea.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back