Your wrinkles prove your guilt

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Thomas Halyburton, The Great Concern of Salvation (Works, p. 61):

What has consumed your youthful beauty? What has turned that smoothness, which in the days of your youth was, it may be, your own delight, and that of others, into these many wrinkles which now every one sees, and ye may feel? Has not sin, or God upon the account of sin, done it? “Thou hast filled me with wrinkles,” says Job, “which is a witness against me, and my leanness rising up in me, beareth witness to my face,” Job 16:8. If ye be not sinners, tell me, I pray, whence are the unsteady hands, the dim eyes, the mouldered teeth, that paleness of the visage, that approaches near to the colour of that mould into which a little hence ye are to be turned? Are not all these things proofs of your guilt, and witnesses against you?

What I believe this should show us is that though we are covered by the righteousness of Jesus, we are yet sinners under this covering.

Last edited:
What I believe this should show us is that though we are covered by the righteousness of Jesus, we are yet sinners under this covering.

Well noted, Earl. The book is called "The Great Concern for Salvation."

Everything which falls short of a perfect state is a witness to our sin and the need for salvation, even our wrinkles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back