Youth Ministies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Bushey

Puritanboard Commissioner
Does your church have youth ministries. By this, I mean, does your youth (children) leave the worship area prior to formal worship to attend a seperate teaching with all children?

Is it biblical to do this?

I voted I dont care cause I dont really know but I would say it depends on the quality and content of the ministry.It should be run by dads/elders or the father should be the primary leader for his kids I would think.

blade

I didn't vote because there was no "my church does it and it is [i:602a3d4a4c]not[/i:602a3d4a4c] biblical." :)

[Edited on 4-8-2004 by rembrandt]

question, Scott. does this include nursry and children under 10?

Is Sunday School biblical and if you say yes, is there a biblical what do you think is the biblical way of running it?:D

I think worship should be a family affair. Our church does not have a "children's church" because we don't have the children or the people to have one.

There are several reasons I can see to not have it and only one to do so.

Against:

It teaches children that what goes on in the big people's meeting is not for me.

Children are not (generally speaking) taught to woship God in little people's church.

When the children finally are old enough to come sit with the adults, they still can't behave. The problems you thought to avoid have only been postponed for a few years.

For:

To provide ample seating for adults.

During teh church service, the kids sit with the parents, but there is a nursery for the little ones. After the service, we have Sunday School and the children have there own class for that while we big folks have our own study.

We have a youth director/pastor, however I am not sure what he does in the way of teaching the youth other than activities. I know on Sunday morining, he teaches the college and career Sunday School class and on Sunday night and Wednesday nights he works with the teens while the adults are in prayer meeting.

I voted 'yes it is biblical' before I read the question!

I think I've said before that I believe in ministry for children IN ADDITION to the worship services of the church - particularly in terms of evangelistic outreach.

In the churches I have attended, the children and adults are together for the time of worship, and just before the sermon those under the age of about 9 go out for bible teaching.

I think that the over-emphasis in the modern evangelical scene on 'specific' ministries (eg the foolishness of 'teens' 'singles' 'marrieds' 'oldies' being divided into groups) makes us rather anti those things which are useful and good.

I cannot comprehend why children should be excluded from the hymn/psalm singing, prayer and scripture reading of the church service. I can comprehend why the very youngest benefit more from being taught at an appropriate level whilst the sermon is preached.

Again, I think American/British Church cultures clash. You would not teach what you call 'Sunday School' lessons on complicated issues to all ages, you have seperate classes from what I gather, and teach appropriately. Here in the UK, the most complicated issues - indeed all issues, are taught to adults from the pulpit on Lord's day and weeknight services, not in any kind of 'sunday school' setting.

Just my perspective on things - yes, a minister can preach an 'all-age' sermon, but is he doing this safe in the knowledge that much doctrine and complicated matter is being covered in 'sunday school' for adults?

Don't take this as me saying children can't comprehend many complicated things - they can. I know! I teach them weekly!

[Edited on 4-9-2004 by JonathanHunt]

:flaming:

Jonathanhunt, Idid the same thing! I clicked the wrong button!! We do not have "children's church" and we don't bring our worship service down to the level of a 5 year old. We expect parents to explain anything in the worship service that their children do not understand.

[quote:4acf4a742f][i:4acf4a742f]Originally posted by Scott Bushey[/i:4acf4a742f]
Does your church have youth ministries. By this, I mean, does your youth (children) leave the worship area prior to formal worship to attend a seperate teaching with all children?

Is it biblical to do this? [/quote:4acf4a742f]

We have an optional childrens Church for those 3-6. It is actually really good as we go through the same liturgy (a bit simplified) as in the adult service, and there is a lesson for the children. In other words,, it is to teach the children to worship. The children do stay in the regular service up until the Sermon. I know that many Lutherans have a "Childrens Sermon" before the regular one. I think that is a good idea.

[Edited on 4-9-2004 by raderag]

wsw201,
I would have to say I agree with you here.I think now that its important if not urgent for a parent to explain these important things to there young en's for there growth and edification. They shouldnt have to be left in the dark simply because of there age. Allthough I would caution to be patient with them as they need to be told in a way that they can grasp.

blade
:boldblue:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back