Youtube channel on church history

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is very nice to have such a convenient resource so readily available. I watched the video on Boethius, and there are a few caveats. First, though, I would like to say that I very much appreciated him dismissing as nonsense the people who want to say that Boethius was secretly a pagan and The Consolation of Philosophy proves that.

1. Very many 2nd commandment violations. I don't know if that is true on all videos, but at times you'd be better off listening only.
2. Some carelessness in the text put up on the screen: 'privilege' was mis-spelled, for instance.
3. Obviously there is some incompleteness. He started with Elizabeth I's translation of Boethius, but did not mention that other noteworthies such as Alfred the Great and Chaucer also translated him. The reading list at the end was disappointing, and didn't actually point people to Boethius at all.
4. The account of Augustine on predestination was a little confused.
5. The account of Boethius on predestination focused too narrowly on the question of time and eternity, and he spoke as though Boethius' main concern was similar to that of the open theists.
6. My wife thought he didn't do anything to show the glory of Boethius. It was a plain account that gave you no idea of why the Middle Ages loved him and treated him as one of their primary authorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back