You've just gotta hear this sermon! (suggestions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
I just bought an mp3 player and an FM transmitter so I could listen to sermons in the car. While I figure out how to work them, I thought I'd ask for sermon suggestions. What sermon or sermon series have you listened to (or preached) that fits the category - "You've just GOTTA hear this sermon".

It would be hard for me to pick one bc all of my pastor's sermons are great! :D Here is a link to his sermons.

Paris Reidhead's "Ten Shekels and a Shirt" is the first one that comes to mind.

Thanks, everybody, for your suggestions thus far - :up:

If you ever want a good challenge, try going to the list of sermons for Dale Ralph Davis or Dr. Ian R. K. Paisley and choosing just one from each list. I did it, and I think I made good choices, but it was challenging, for sure!

Hope the FM transmitter works good. I have too much bleed through where I live so I end up burning CDs.
I haven't tested the FM transmitter out yet, but the Belkin Transmitter I bought has a site that helps you choose the best FM frequency to use for a given zip code. We'll see how well they did.
Would not want to miss this one on Ecclesiastes, by Edward Crawford: The Vantage Point.
I couldn't find the mp3 for this (the link is to a video of the sermon). From the description, looks like a good, practical sermon.

Last edited:
Chuck Vuolo at sermonaudio.com has done an excellent series on "How God Guides us". There are just over a dozen sermons in the series and they are excellent. http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=390417324

Should they ever appear in print I will pre-order the book. I started transcribing the second sermon but ran out of steam.

Chuck in these sermons is spot on, with a wonderful mastery of the scriptures. If anyone else has transcripts please PM me.

Last edited:
Listened to this sermon by Dan Cozart of Grace Baptist Church, Tyler, Texas this morning upon awakening. I have been blessed through the years by many of his messages.

I would say that the last sermon of Rev. Eric Fennema is a must-listen. You can find the link here, along with the background.

The link to the church doesn't seem to work...

Any alternate paths?

i would go to sermonaudio.com and listen to Voddie Baucham (especially a sermon called "table of nations") and also listen to Paul Washer.
the great thing about sermon audio is that you can search for subjects, specific speakers and specific books of the bible.
have fun!

I would say that the last sermon of Rev. Eric Fennema is a must-listen. You can find the link here, along with the background.

The link to the church doesn't seem to work...

Any alternate paths?
Might just be a server problem. Works ok for me.

-----Added 9/14/2009 at 08:03:16 EST-----

I really appreciate all the responses. With all the excellent sermons to choose from, now I've got the challenging task of deciding which to listen to first, second, third etc. (look at all the suggestions, and tell me its an easy task).

I was blessed to hear a sermon yesterday that I would instantly put into this category. It was by Brian Dempsey on the dangerous consequences of ungodly decisions (based upon Lot in Gen 13, 18, 19). Exceptional!

You should be able to find it here or here when it becomes available in the next week or so.

i agree with Pastor Ivan... it is amazing what we have access to today.
i have the ability to enjoy a couple sermons a day while i work
but i think this access has it's downside as well.
maybe this is a discussion for a different thread...

G K Beale sermons are saturated in Redemptive History, great depth

Reformed Sermons and Lectures by G.K. Beale

I greatly recommend

Nelson Kloosterman

With Open Ears and Open Hearts: Facing Challenges for Sermon Listening Today

precisely on listening to sermons or the

Natural Law and the Two Kingdoms in the Thought of Herman Bavinck

(I know this may be controversial but no one matches the amplitude of the reformed thought of Bavinck, in my opinion)

Auxesis.net - Reformed Church Leadership Training Resources

I listened to part of this on the way to work this morning. Interesting sermon introduction! My ride to work is around 20 minutes and for the first 19 minutes or so I noticed he was just quoting from the scriptures, without adding in his thoughts. I thought that was an interesting way to do a sermon and tried (unsuccessfully) to follow his train of thought. I found out after around 19 minutes, as I was driving into the parking lot, that he'd been quoting those passages from memory. At that point he started speaking of the importance of scripture memory. Now that I've heard the introduction, I look forward to hearing the rest.

I listened to part of this on the way to work this morning. Interesting sermon introduction! My ride to work is around 20 minutes and for the first 19 minutes or so I noticed he was just quoting from the scriptures, without adding in his thoughts. I thought that was an interesting way to do a sermon and tried (unsuccessfully) to follow his train of thought. I found out after around 19 minutes, as I was driving into the parking lot, that he'd been quoting those passages from memory. At that point he started speaking of the importance of scripture memory. Now that I've heard the introduction, I look forward to hearing the rest.

i know, it was very encouraging and mind blowing.

i agree with Pastor Ivan... it is amazing what we have access to today.
i have the ability to enjoy a couple sermons a day while i work
but i think this access has it's downside as well.
maybe this is a discussion for a different thread...

What downside are you thinking of Thomas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back