Zechariah 6 - Name of the Messiah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PointyHaired Calvinist

Puritan Board Junior
“Take from them silver and gold, and make a crown, and set it on the head of Joshua, the son of Jehozadak, the high priest. And say to him, 'Thus says the Lord of hosts, "Behold, the man whose name is the Branch: for he shall branch out from his place, and he shall build the temple of the Lord. It is he who shall build the temple of the Lord and shall bear royal honor, and shall sit and rule on his throne. And there shall be a priest on his throne, and the counsel of peace shall be between them both."'”
‭‭Zechariah‬ ‭6:11-13‬ ‭ESV‬‬

I’ve heard that this is not only a prophecy of the Messiah but even of his earthly name - Branch is an oft used messianic title, Jesus is Greek for Joshua, to put it succinctly.

I’ve only seen this in Messianic Jewish and Sacred Name sources though. Is this a legitimate interpretation used by other more mainstream commentaries or is it hokey?

Last edited:
To me, it seems a stretch to claim that this v (as opposed to another, like Is.7:14) is precise to the naming of the Child. There can be only one birth "given name," but that one name cannot exhaust the fullness of apt description of the Coming One.

The proposal offered re. Zech.6 is itself an interpretation of the text, which does not say Messiah's name will be Joshua, but rather "Branch." Joshua in the prophet's context appears to be an actual high priest, whom the prophet incorporates into the sign. All the high priests there ever were joined in the sign which was their office, and they had various names. I do not see that Zechariah's proclamation draws attention to the specific birth name of this priest. The audience is actually not interested in his birth name, in deference to this special sign of a name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back