Zondervan's Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew11v25

Puritan Board Sophomore
So how are the notes? I am required to have one for Bible classes when I go to Providence Christian College in the fall.

Anyone have it, or know about it?

One of my favorite features of it is that in light of the fact that it contains the full Westminster Standards and the Three Forms of Unity in the back, all of the Scriptures throughout the biblical text that were used as proof-texts in any of those confessional documents have foot-noted references back to the applicable section of the standards. Of course, one of the downsides is that it is NIV.

One of the downsides? The NIV is a corrupt text, a false Bible meant to decieve. I advise anyone who uses the NIV to get rid of it as soon as they can, unless they wish to keep it to show others how bad it is.

Originally posted by Wthompson
One of the downsides? The NIV is a corrupt text, a false Bible meant to decieve. I advise anyone who uses the NIV to get rid of it as soon as they can, unless they wish to keep it to show others how bad it is.
While the NIV is not by any means the ideal translation available, I would caution you, brother, to stop short of labeling it a "false Bible meant to deceive". The intention of the NIV was to interpret the texts of Scripture in such language normal to today's understanding. To its fault, the paraphrasing is a bit redundant for the acquired reformed palate. However, the message of God's Word still shines through and is more than capable of piercing the heart of many a sinner.

I'm not responding to this with the intention of instigating a debate of Divine authority in trasmission or translation (i.e. KJVOnly debate). I do not currently use an NIV Bible, but I have recognized God's provision for those who have been exposed to its text. Let us not forget the the Apostle Peter did not use the "KJV" translation of his day when referring to the writings of Isaiah. God's providence in preserving the purity of his revelation throughout the ages is not confined to language of any particular age, but rather to the sovereign good purpose of his holy will. In this regard, many have been blessed by the context in which the NIV has presented the message our Lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back