Books on Interpreting the Scriptures

Status
Not open for further replies.

doonziticus

Inactive User
What are some good books to check out on the subject of interpreting the Scriptures? In my Biblical Interpretation class, we use How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart. While I enjoy the class itself, the book doesn't seem to go in-depth enough on how to interpret the Bible, so I want to learn more. I may be premature in wanting to do this, because I am taking the class and will probably learn, but I just want to know how to properly interpret the Word of God.

I strongly recommend Not like any other book by Peter Masters.

You can read my review/summary of the book here:

http://fatbaptist.blogspot.com/2005/08/thursday-books-part-i.html

Here is the conclusion of my article:

Chapter 15 is an epilogue, which it is tempting to reproduce in full, but here is a little of it:

'The burden of this book has been to alert Bible-loving people to the sad decline in standards of biblical interpretation. We have tried to include positive counsel and stimulation, but alas, the unhappy task of showing what is going wrong may have overwhelmed it"¦ In the US, the bestowing of doctoral degrees continues apace for scholars who advance the cause of this hermeneutical juggernaut. Why should it be thought worthy by evangelical seminaries to celebrate a lifeless, Spirit-quenching, message-destroying school of interpretation, built ultimately on Bible-denying, liberal philosophy?'

He acknowledges the work of many preachers and some writers today who still stand in the old paths.

'In vain do we look today for real evangelical scholarship demonstrating a profound knowledge of the Word combined with a desire to advance preaching. Instead the new approach authors painfully follow each other down the road of modern hermeneutics rooted in Schleiermacher, then Gadamar, then a host of philosophers, rather than faithful theologians'.

He urges modern preachers to break free of the modern hermeneutic, and urges churches seeking pastors to call men who will bring the message of the Bible, "˜unrestricted by unscriptural inhibitions´. He calls for a return to the hermeneutic of the puritans, of Spurgeon, of the entire reformed tradition, in order that "˜Christ may be all and in all´ Well, there´s my summary of his book. I think it is the most important book he has ever written. Everything stems from the scripture, and our view of it. If anyone ever was to read just one book by Peter Masters, this would have to be the one..

JH

[Edited on 9-14-2005 by JonathanHunt]

You can check out this thread ...

http://www.puritanboard.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=9305

I have profited greatly by these books and would recommend all of them.

#1 - Biblical Hermeneutics - A Treatise on the Interpretation of The Old and New Testaments
By: Milton S. Terry
Wipf and Stock Publishers - Lg. Softcover - 511p.

#2 - Getting the Message - A PLan for Interpreting and Applying the Bible
By: Daniel M. Doriani
P&R - Lg. Softcover - 255p.

#3 - Putting the Truth to Work - The Theory and Practice of Biblical Application
By: Daniel M. Doriani
P&R - Lg. Softcover - 342p.

#4 - He Gave Us Stories - The Bible Students Guide to Interpreting Old Testament Narratives
By: Richard L. Pratt, Jr.
P&R - Lg. Softcover - 493p.

#5 - Symphonic Theology - The Validity of Multiple Perspectives In Theology
By: Vern S. Poythress
P&R - Softcover - 128p.

#6 - God Centered Biblical Interpretation
P&R - Softcover - 238p.

#7 - Science and Hermeneutics - Implications of Scientific Method for Biblical Interpretation
Zondervan - Softcover - 184p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back