Building off the Collar Discussion

What do you wear in the Parish and/or the Pulpit?

• Geneva Gown in the Pulpit and Suit/Tie in the Parish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geneva Gown and a Collar in the Pulpit and in the Parish

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
So there seems to be pretty 50/50 split among the PB as far as this issue goes concerning collars and Geneva Gowns. Without getting into a theology discussion (which can continue at the original thread) I would like to know by way of poll who does wear what in the pulpit and daily in the Parish.

Where is the poll?

I wear a shirt and tie with no jacket. (All of which I purchased at Ross)

I also wear glasses.

I heard Bob wears only a towel.

I voted none of the above. I wear a Geneva Gown on the pulpit, but usually dress semi-formal in my day to day pastoral work. I generally only wear a tie and jacket when visiting elderly members or when chairing meetings. I hate ties.

What do you mean by 'parish'? Do you mean 'around town'? Or anytime you are in an official capacity outside of the Lord's Day service?

Usually sportcoat and sometimes tie during week.
GEneva gown Sunday AM, suit Sunday PM. Not sure why, pattern established by predecessor.

Suit and tie in the AM
Sportcoat without tie in PM
Business casual during the week

(Hence the new poll option).

What do you mean by 'parish'? Do you mean 'around town'? Or anytime you are in an official capacity outside of the Lord's Day service?

Well if you wear a collar "around town" then you would select option 2 if just for special occasions other than the Lord's Day then option 4.

During the Divine service I wear a "Wittenberg Gown" . . . we Calvinists simply borrowed Luther's practice.

Under it I wear a shirt and tie, but am conflicted about that, since this is business attire. Yet, I tried the dog collar but it was uncomfortable as well as confusing to people. If I could find some sort of dress shirt without a place for a necktie I'd wear that.

The only time I wear a suit is at Classis and Synod meetings.

Well if you wear a collar "around town" then you would select option 2 if just for special occasions other than the Lord's Day then option 4.

Are there some who wear the gown 'around town'? I have never seen that before.

I wear either a Geneva gown or a blue gown with a white stole (on occasion). I usually wear a suit on the Lord's Day unless I am doing a hospital visitation and then I wear the collar (wuff, wuff). I dress business casual unless I am at the hospital or presiding in some capacity as a minister and then I wear the collar.

Suit and tie in the pulpit unless it is very hot, in which case shirt and tie. On rare occasions remove tie in hymn/psalm before sermon due to extreme heat. Who designed our church building with a glass roof? Imbeciles! I blame that Robert Schuller fellow.

Out of the pulpit - whatever. I will always make sure I have clean trousers and shirt on if I am doing anything church related but it is pretty casual. When I am cleaning the church building I may even be wearing shorts and a t-shirt. It gets hot in there! :lol:

One church planting pastor I knew NEVER did ANYTHING without shirt and tie on. They had managed to acquire an old chapel for meetings, and he was down there bringing it back into use day by day, sanding the pews. I will never forget going over to greet him, and being amazed that underneath his wood-stained t-shirt there was... a shirt and tie!!

What do y'all wear when you go to the post office? Do you wear a collar when in public in a different town than your church?

If I go to a restaurant with my wife in the town where I am pastor, am I in the parish? Or do I have to be on some official church business to be considered 'in the parish'?

It gets hot in there!

Hot? Hot? What's "hot" to you - maybe 65 degrees? What do you English know about heat? :lol: Go visit Texas some day; they'll tell you all about heat!

No thanks! Apart from visiting my christian brothers there I cannot think of any possible reason to submit to such heat. I don't know what the farenheit is but it easily gets to 35 degrees centigrade inside our church, and we have no aircon or anything. There is a pansy little air fan in the pulpit, but all that does is keeps me slightly cooler so that when I step down from the pulpit to preside at the Lord's table, my temperature rockets and my face is like niagara falls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back