Camping and Camping Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvanlaan

Puritan Board Doctor
Ok, we have officially become a camping family through sheer weight of numbers. I was looking at some things here in China to get before we go. First off, I can get a PLA surplus tent that sleeps 12 (very much like the 'mods' I slept in during basic training. Big, boxy, and you can cram a bunch of people into them.) That would cost about $200USD. Is that sort of price decent? For those of you who camp on a regular basis, please enlighten me...

Also, what's a fair price for a sleeping bag? (not Arctic-rated, just normal, decent stuff)

The price for the tent is great. I don't know about sleeping bags though, as we bring blankets and pillows from home.

It really comes down to what kind of quality you desire, what function the equipment will serve, and budget, of course.

I don't know if the following companies ship to China or not. The shipping would probably be expensive, but just by way of price comparison, I buy my camping gear from the following:

Outdoor Gear, Clothing & Footwear at Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS)
Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices.
OutdoorWorld.com
REI: Outdoor Gear, Equipment & Clothing for Camping, Hiking, Cycling, Fitness, Kayaking, Canoeing and More

Actually, we're not looking at shipping it to China, since we're out of here in precisely 18 days. (Woohoo!) But since I have the chance to pick up the tent at that price, I thought it might be a good deal to get on the way out. Sounds like it's a bargain after all. :up:

If China is anything like Taiwan used to be when I was there ('72-'73), you should be able to find very good equipment at very good prices. A store we used to buy from was called Ting Shan Iuou or something, it was the name of a mountain. They were great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back