Ceremonial Law Vs Moral Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quickened

Puritan Board Senior
I am having trouble organizing my thoughts this morning. Basically someone posted something that triggered some thoughts in me but i cant find the material i was looking for....

the post (not from this board) in question stated:

The old covenant was nailed to the cross (Col. 2:14) and the law of commandments was abolished (Eph. 2:15) by Christ's death on the cross. We have been freed from the law (Rom. 7:6)!

If we kept the ten commandments, we would also have to keep all 619 laws! That means no shellfish, no cooking or lifting things on Saturday, isolation of women during their menstruation, etc. What a burden!

To my understanding the cememonial laws were done away with but the commandments still stand.

I am drawing a hard blank as to how to respond to this.

I think caution needs to be used in saying that any portion of God's Law has been done away with - rather we should say the law, even the ceremonial law, has been fulfilled in Christ. We still have a high priest in Christ and we still have an altar in Christ, etc. We no longer have the shadows, but the Substance. :2cents:

I am having trouble organizing my thoughts this morning. Basically someone posted something that triggered some thoughts in me but i cant find the material i was looking for....

the post in question stated:

The old covenant was nailed to the cross (Col. 2:14) and the law of commandments was abolished (Eph. 2:15) by Christ's death on the cross. We have been freed from the law (Rom. 7:6)!

If we kept the ten commandments, we would also have to keep all 619 laws! That means no shellfish, no cooking or lifting things on Saturday, isolation of women during their menstruation, etc. What a burden!

To my understanding the cememonial laws were done away with but the commandments still stand.

I am drawing a hard blank as to how to respond to this.

Somehow I can't locate the original post to which you are responding, but the quick answer is that that poster is completely incorrect concerning the ten commandments. To be freed from the law in the sense Paul uses the phrase in Romans 7 is NOT to be freed from the ten commandments. A very cursory perusal of the rest of the New Testament is sufficient to dispense quickly with that sort of antinomianism.

I apologize gentlemen! I should have stated that this was not posted here on this board. Forgive me if my post is misleading! I will edit my post

Josh: thanks for that link! Looks like I got my ears full :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back