Computers in Class: Help or Harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris, how does the handwriting recognition work on that?

Very well. Of course it depends on your handwriting. I print so it recognizes it pretty well. The nice thing is that you can leave it as handwriting and convert it later. I use the setup for meetings etc. and it works great at work. It works even better for the classroom. You end up with .wma files that can be transferred to an .mp3 player as well.

Chris, how does the handwriting recognition work on that?

Very well. Of course it depends on your handwriting. I print so it recognizes it pretty well. The nice thing is that you can leave it as handwriting and convert it later. I use the setup for meetings etc. and it works great at work. It works even better for the classroom. You end up with .wma files that can be transferred to an .mp3 player as well.

Cool. I mostly print too and have not tried any handwriting application since 2000. It didn't work so well back then. The recording synch sounds like a remarkable tool.

Here is the ideal set up:

Tablet PC
Notes provided by professor
Microsoft OneNote
External Mic.

In MS OneNote copy and paste the notes for that day's lecture. Click record. Highlight the notes as the professor covers them and write with the stylus to annotate and add to the notes. This gives 2 things. One: no click clacking on the keyboard - I find that annoying. 2. Every time your stylus touches the screen to annotate it bookmarks the audio recording to that place in the notes. In other words,, if the professor says something profound, instead of having to type/write it down and miss the thrust of the statement, simply make a short hand mark for later review and then transcribe it in full later.

I put all of this into play a couple of months ago in my first class for RTS Charlotte in John Frame's History of Philosophy and Christian Thought class and I couldn't have been happier with the results. Other students really liked the setup. Cool thing is that it is my work tablet so I'm not out any money. It is the IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad X61 tablet.

This also affords copying and pasting from esword/logos/bibleworks during the lecture as well.

Psst. The Chinese own Lenovo.

Actually, a lot of components are made in Taiwan, which the Chinese think belongs to them but the Taiwanese feel differently about.

This issue of Lenovo isn't a small one for the U.S. Military when it comes to purchasing computers that will go on our networks. Who knows what they might stick in the BIOS.

The important thing that Chris needs to ask is this: "WWRPD?"

I don't think he'd use something that is clearly benefitting the Red Chinese.

Actually, a lot of components are made in Taiwan, which the Chinese think belongs to them but the Taiwanese feel differently about.

This issue of Lenovo isn't a small one for the U.S. Military when it comes to purchasing computers that will go on our networks. Who knows what they might stick in the BIOS.

The important thing that Chris needs to ask is this: "WWRPD?"

I don't think he'd use something that is clearly benefitting the Red Chinese.

Heh. Do I have to move this thread to politics? :think: ;) I don't think RP has any problem with trade with China, even the red ones.

But your point about military use is an important one, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back