Covenant Children and Genesis 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JML

Puritan Board Junior
Does God intend the inclusion of children in the covenant as a motivation to attempt to obey the command to be fruitful and multiply? I have never thought on this before but it seems as if it would take away a Christian's desire to bring children into the world if one has the viewpoint that those children are the same as the children of the world in the eyes of God. It was definitely so in the Old Covenant that children were included in the covenant and seems that if the New Covenant is better that this change (covenant children to no covenant children) would not be an improvement upon the old for the Christian. Can someone more familiar with covenant theology explain if this is part of the argument for the inclusion of covenant children or if this has nothing to do with it?

Does God intend the inclusion of children in the covenant as a motivation to attempt to obey the command to be fruitful and multiply?

I do not pretend to know God's motives but I doubt this it His motive. However, I have heard it said that raising covenant children within the covenant community is one of the most effective evangelism tools God has given His covenant people. And, the more fruitful we are, the more we will desire to multiple.

It was definitely so in the Old Covenant that children were included in the covenant and seems that if the New Covenant is better that this change (covenant children to no covenant children) would not be an improvement upon the old for the Christian.

There is an amazing sermon that addresses this point by Joel Beeke that can be found on Sermon Audio. The title has something to do with Why We Baptism Infants and one of His arguments is along the lines that the Jewish converts to Christ/Christianity would have been up in arms had they thought for a moment that all of the sudden God no longer included their children in His covenant with them. It is a wonderful sermon on this topic.

Can someone more familiar with covenant theology explain if this is part of the argument for the inclusion of covenant children or if this has nothing to do with it?

I doubt I have answered the question but I hope you find something I've shared to be of use!

I am kind of confused by your question a little bit as it seems to imply that we need a reason as believers to be fruitful and multiply. I have heard one of the reasons that non believers say they don't want to have children is that they fear the world is too bad and sense that it would be a disservice and unloving act to bring a child into this world. Are you suggesting that believers might not want to bring children into the world for similar reasons? Is your questioning kind of along this line of thinking? In other words, are you suggesting that God is encouraging us to have children because they are included in the Covenant?

I am also concerned that you are not seeing why the New Covenant is considered better. It is better and new because Christ has fulfilled the promises. It isn't better because the grace is better. The grace is the same in both the old Covenant and new Covenant. Both Covenants are administered by the Covenant of Grace and are of the same substance.

I love this passage....
Mal 2:13 And this second thing you do. You cover the LORD's altar with tears, with weeping and groaning because he no longer regards the offering or accepts it with favor from your hand. Mal 2:14 But you say, "Why does he not?" Because the LORD was witness between you and the wife of your youth, to whom you have been faithless, though she is your companion and your wife by covenant.
Mal 2:15 Did he not make them one, with a portion of the Spirit in their union? And what was the one God seeking? Godly offspring. So guard yourselves in your spirit, and let none of you be faithless to the wife of your youth.
Mal 2:16 "For the man who does not love his wife but divorces her, says the LORD, the God of Israel, covers his garment with violence, says the LORD of hosts. So guard yourselves in your spirit, and do not be faithless."

Have I confused the issue? I hope I am understanding your line of thought. Like I said. I was a bit confused by your line of questioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back