Favourite Biography?

Status
Not open for further replies.
John G. Paton. Far and away the best (auto)biography I have read (though I haven't read many). This man had a zeal and passion for Christ that I find very challenging. A very godly man, to say the least! Get the Banner of Truth edition if you are able!

My next son's middle name will be "Paton", if the Lord gives me another son. That's how much it impacted me.

Light From Old Times Or Protestant Facts And Men By J. C. Ryle

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Old-Times-Protestant-Facts/dp/1436596688/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279171276&sr=1-1

513X6885JZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
Here I Stand (about Martin Luther) is my all-time favorite. It had a profound impact on me as a young believer.

Try Peter Ackroyd:

Dickens' London: An Imaginative Vision
Dickens
London: The Biography
Thames: Sacred River
Poe: A life cut short

Am I allowed to recommend more then one?

A great bio that I read recently was Golden Mouth-The Story of John Chrysostom: Ascetic, Preacher, Bishop .
By J.N.D. Kelly

I highly recommend it.

Am I allowed to recommend more then one?

Definately. Before embracing the reformed faith I was not big on bios as I did not really admire anyone enough to care about their life. Since then I have come to appreciate the teaching of many men and would like to learn about their life and Christian walk.

Thanks everyone, keep 'em com'in!!

George Whitefield, 2 volumes, by Arnold Dallimore, Banner of Truth

A Spectacle unto God, The Life and Death of Christopher Love, by Don Kistler

Robert Murray M'Cheyne, by Andrew Bonar

William Carey by his great grandson S Pearce Carey

The biographies of Whitefield, Spurgeon and M'Cheyne are all worth reading and Andrew Bonar's own diary is a gem.

Just finished Muether's bio on Van Til, a good intro to his life.

The best is Boswell's Life of Samuel Johnson.

Another gem is Peter Brown's Augustine of Hippo. The 513 pages of text goes by quickly because of the readablity of the fine work. I highly recommend it.

This is not a religious biography (which seems to be what everyone is enjoying), but Woody Holton's bio of Abigail Adams is AMAZING and just came out in paperback.

This is not a religious biography (which seems to be what everyone is enjoying).....

Hey, I'm right there with you. And I can assure you mine is less religious than yours. Come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever read a religious biography!

That probably explains why my recommendation was for a soccer player. I know, I know, how impressive!

Triumph of Truth, bio of Martin Luther by Jean Merle D'Aubigne

George Mueller of Bristol, A.T. Pierson

George Whitefield, Arnold
Dallimore

Last edited:
This is not a religious biography (which seems to be what everyone is enjoying).....

Hey, I'm right there with you. And I can assure you mine is less religious than yours. Come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever read a religious biography!

That probably explains why my recommendation was for a soccer player. I know, I know, how impressive!

I find that often religious biographies tend to turn into hagiographies, which is annoying.

Actually, I can think of one religious biography that I enjoyed - George Marsden's Jonathan Edwards. Really good! And didn't paint him as a sinless saint.

A piece just came to my mind. If you want a brief who’s who of patristic history De Viris Illustribus, by Jerome, is an interesting read. It a quick bio summary of important figures in early church history. It is like the cliff notes of an Ancient Church class that your seminary professor would not want you to know about. :lol:

There are issues of strong suspension with some of his given historical accounts, such as with Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Aristides, and Pantaenus. Despite the fact that you can see problems with his various historical accounts, you can see the reflections of portrayed traditions or falsified stories that were believed in Jerome’s time. There is still plenty of helpful information in there that quite reliable. Therefore it would be helpful to double checks various claims Jerome makes, which would be a good research project for someone and would make you well rounded for that period of church history.

The Latin text has been translated into English, yet in my opinion is sadly ignored.

I originally took the post to mean Christian biographies. There are many good non Christian biographies as well.

Although I like sport I really can't be bothered with sporting biographies are all much the same and I find it a bit much when sportsmen in their early 20s are writing their life stories.

The Diary of Anne Frank captures life in hiding and particularly and is poignant at the end when you know why there are no more entries.

I have found biographies of journalists quite fascinating as they are in places where world news and events are happening and they are recording it as eye witnesses. Recently I just finished Conor O'Cleary's May You Live in Interesting Times which I particularly enjoyed.

William Farel - Frances Bevan
Verdi - George Martin
Here I Stand - Roland Bainton (about Martin Luther)
Nine-Day Queen of England - Faith Cook (about Lady Jane Grey)

I'm surprised, no one has yet mentioned my favorite autobiography, which is that of George Muller. You can pick one up for cheap, it's the best I've ever read, I've actually read it over three times!

When I think of George Muller, I think of one of the most excellent examples of what a christian ought to look like. Though his doctine could use a little work, he was a very godly man of faith.

Amazon.com: Autobiography Of George Muller (9780883681596): MULLER…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back