Getting financial aid when your parents will not fill out the fafsa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, just throwing this out there.... many private schools have special sources of funding... therefore their scholarship systems work differently. My own university --some of the Catholic universities happen to be VERY sympathetic to needy, bright students and Christians--offered me a full scholarship without even looking at the fafsa.
Of course, I did qualify for this pre-existing merit scholarship. (Unfortunately, only a reduced version of it is available now! Hard times.)

Put pressure on those parents. My friend's parents were going through a divorce when we were applying for college. There was an ugly custody battle, had to call lawyers, had to bring in other adults. I know that when parents divorce, they are required by law to pay for part (half?) of the tuition. There may be some legal obligations for these parents.

It is not that hard to pay your own way if your are motivated. To me the experience of fighting my way through school was a key part of my learning experience.

Working full time while going to school full time is a challenge, but your 20s are the time to do it. My two siblings and I (and many of my friends) all paid our own ways through college.

No grants, period.

My brother received some scholarships, when he went for his second engineering degree but with a 3.9 or 4.0 GPA on his first degree, I am not surprised.

I incurred no debt, my brother incurred minor debt, my sister incurred a lot of debt. (In my humble opinion she did not have to, but who am I to say. :um:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back