His Name shall be called Wonderful (Spurgeon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil D.

ὁ βαπτιστὴς
I do believe that Jesus of Nazareth was the king of heaven, and yet he was a poor, despised, persecuted, slandered man; but while I believe it I never can understand it. I bless him for it; I love him for it; I desire to praise his name while immortality endures for his infinite condescension in thus suffering for me; but to understand it, I can never pretend. His name must all his life long be called Wonderful.​
But see him die. Come O my brothers, ye children of God, and gather round the cross. See your Master. There he hangs. Can you understand this riddle: God was manifest in the flesh, and crucified of men? My Master, I cannot understand how thou couldst stoop thine awful head to such a death as this—how then couldst take from thy brow the coronet of stars which from old eternity had shone resplendent there; but how thou shouldest permit the thorn-crown to gird the temples astonishes me far more. That thou shouldest cast away the mantle of thy glory, the azure of thine everlasting empire, I cannot comprehend; but how thou shouldest have become veiled in the ignominious purple for awhile, and then be bowed to by impious men, who mocked thee as a pretended king, and how thou shouldest be stripped naked to thy shame, without a single covering, this is still more incomprehensible.​
Truly thy name is Wonderful. Oh thy love to me is wonderful, passing the love of woman. Was ever grief like thine? Was ever love like thine, that could open the flood gates of such grief. Thy grief is like a river; but was there ever spring that poured out such a torrent? Was ever love so mighty as to become the fount from which such an ocean of grief could come rolling down? Here is matchless love—matchless love to make him suffer, matchless power to enable him to endure all the weight of his Father's wrath. Here is matchless justice, that he himself should acquiesce in his Father's will, and not allow men to be saved without his own sufferings; and here is matchless mercy to the chief of sinners, that Christ should suffer even for them. "His name shall be called Wonderful."​
(His Name - Wonderful!; New Park Street Pulpit, Vol. 4)​

Spurgeon's prose is indeed wonderful and I understand that he is just following the KJV punctuation here, but strictly speaking, the name in Isaiah 9:6 is not simply "Wonderful" but "Wonderful Counselor"; each of the four names (wonderful counselor, mighty God, everlasting Father and Prince of Peace) combines a title with an attribute. And "wonderful" in Hebrew does not merely mean "very special, remarkable" but "supernatural, miraculous". So the "wonderful counselor" is the one endued with all the fullness of divine wisdom.

As Matthew Henry puts it, "He is the wonderful counsellor, a wonder or miracle of a counsellor; in this, as in other things, he has the pre-eminence; none teaches like him."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back