Homiletics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides some of the standard works on this subject (like Lloyd-Jones and Spurgeon's Lectures to My Students) the greatest way to learn to preach is to read (and listen to) other great preachers. Read the classic sermons of the Church from all ages. Be instructed by the examples of men God has powerfully gifted.

I listen to downloads from sermonaudio nearly everyday. I will listen to several sermons on a specific topic and in addition from what I gather from their treatment of the subject I critique their style, delivery, methods, etc. This has helped me deliver messages in a way that I might otherwise have goofed up, like touchy subjects. Definitely learn all you can from the old school, take what you can from the new school, and always...always preach from scripture!

If you are aiming to be a pastor that there is much more to being a good pastor than being a good homiletician. And, I'm not downplaying homiletics. I believe every minister should read two books in addition to the required courses of study. One is The Art of Pastoring by David Hansen and Brothers, We Are Not Professionals by John Piper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back