How many Churches here observed Mother's Day yesterday?

How many Churches here incorporated "Mother's Day" in their "Lord's Day" service

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We didn't because our mother's day is in march. :lol: But seriously, we don;t then either. I may include some particular thanks for parents and mothers in the thanksgiving part of public prayer, but that is it.

The thing with focusing on certain aspects of the Christian life (that are not in themselves sinful or improper) is that there are more than 52 aspects that are important. If we designated a focus for every Lord's Day, then some aspects of our faith would be left without a 'special' focus.

Let us rather preach through whole books of scripture as is prudent and cover ALL aspects of doctrine and practice as they are presented in the stories, teachings, and poetry of scripture.

Tim, what you say makes sense. But are you stating that it's the ONLY way to do it? Are you stating that it's a sin to preach according to certain modern conventions, even if it's biblical truth that's being taught? And are you stating that to fail to preach through books is wrong/sinful? Do you perceive your position on this as biblical, or philosophical?

Tim, what you say makes sense. But are you stating that it's the ONLY way to do it? Are you stating that it's a sin to preach according to certain modern conventions, even if it's biblical truth that's being taught? And are you stating that to fail to preach through books is wrong/sinful? Do you perceive your position on this as biblical, or philosophical?

It was not my intention to address general rules for preaching. My point was that these special days distort the balance of teaching that is already present in the Bible from the basis of God giving us the various books. Why not just focus on mothers when it comes up in scripture? There are lots of passages that have this. There are also a number of passages that describe Christ's death, resurrection, and ascension.

As for preaching through entire books, I have always found that my instruction has benefited from this practice. If there is a special need to address an issue in the congregation, then by all means address it with a single or set of sermons.

Thanks Tim.

It's interesting to note that many very respected preachers never, or almost never, preached through a book of the Bible. Spurgeon is one of the best known and obvious example of this. In much of the Bible it is not a big deal because he preached on so much. But on some critical passages he is strangely silent. It's also worth noting that the most powerful sermons remembered today are generally topical. One of our professors once challenged us to find what passes for contemporary expository preaching in the Bible. There really isn't an example of preaching through a book. And even where we see any verses in the preaching, the passage is seldom broken down as we're used to. The closest we have is the book of Hebrews, which is an incredible example of exposition.

Having said all that, I agree that teaching through a book is most helpful for preacher and congregation alike. I do appreciate the freedom to depart for a week or series when I see something that needs addressing, or am personally convicted in my study. I think it adds to rounding off the knowledge and growth of the body as a whole; and that might include a cultural observance or two along the way.

And if you give flowers to every woman, then what's the point? One can no longer say it's in celebration of mothers.

Well, one of the deacons who gave me a flower said that women like me (unmarried without children) should still act as spiritual mothers to the children in the church by participating in encouraging kids to grow in the love and admonition of the Lord. Roles like mine are small in comparison to the actual mothers but the elders/deacons wanted to acknowledge our part anyway.

I beg to differ. You can be very important in the lives of the younger women in your church, if you choose to be. I'm not saying you should usurp the authority of a mother, but living as a godly SINGLE woman in front of teenaged to college aged students has a huge impact. Sure a mother can discuss this with a daughter, but you can live it out singleness practically in front of them. The older teaches the younger, sis...

And if you give flowers to every woman, then what's the point? One can no longer say it's in celebration of mothers.

Well, one of the deacons who gave me a flower said that women like me (unmarried without children) should still act as spiritual mothers to the children in the church by participating in encouraging kids to grow in the love and admonition of the Lord. Roles like mine are small in comparison to the actual mothers but the elders/deacons wanted to acknowledge our part anyway.

I beg to differ. You can be very important in the lives of the younger women in your church, if you choose to be. I'm not saying you should usurp the authority of a mother, but living as a godly SINGLE woman in front of teenaged to college aged students has a huge impact. Sure a mother can discuss this with a daughter, but you can live it out singleness practically in front of them. The older teaches the younger, sis...

I'm out of thanks...but thanks! I agree completely. I've been very blessed to have godly examples of single women after whom I can model myself.

I'm out of thanks too. Great post, Gloria. Indeed we need to mentor our younger sisters in Christ and teach them. Moms can't do it all. :)

I'm out of thanks...but thanks! I agree completely. I've been very blessed to have godly examples of single women after whom I can model myself.

Me too! Now the Lord is allowing me to impact others...it's great!

Edited to add: Recently married so I guess not so much in that way anymore...How did I forget that!? Our engagement was a witness to some though. I have a lot of unbelieving friends and family who were somewhat puzzled by our "behavior" during the engagement.

Me too! Now the Lord is allowing me to impact others...it's great!

It is, indeed.

No mention during the service. After the service my pastor gave the announcements and reminded the congregations that Sunday school (which is after our worship service) was canceled because of Mother's Day.

As an amusing (and unfortunate!) conincidence our reading from the WSC Sunday was questions 70-72. Seventh commandment. Think about it. :lol:

This will probably start a debate, but I do not believe it is proper to 'share' the Lord's Day with 'Mother's Day'.

The church I attend in Cape Town had the children singing "Jesus loves Mom, this I know". I did not approve of this. We should be reminded of honoring our parents every time we read the 10 Commandments, not by declaring that the Lord's Day is also Mother's Day.

I have only recently come to this understanding (I had never considered it before), so I understand if someone is surprised that I would suggest giving up this observance.

I agree. The purpose of a public worship service is to worship God. That's why we're there. An acknowledgement, as a part of public worship, of Mother's Day (or any other secular celebration or holiday) is inappropriate, as it detracts from our having our focus on God.

This will probably start a debate, but I do not believe it is proper to 'share' the Lord's Day with 'Mother's Day'.

The church I attend in Cape Town had the children singing "Jesus loves Mom, this I know". I did not approve of this. We should be reminded of honoring our parents every time we read the 10 Commandments, not by declaring that the Lord's Day is also Mother's Day.

I have only recently come to this understanding (I had never considered it before), so I understand if someone is surprised that I would suggest giving up this observance.

I agree. The purpose of a public worship service is to worship God. That's why we're there. An acknowledgement, as a part of public worship, of Mother's Day (or any other secular celebration or holiday) is inappropriate, as it detracts from our having our focus on God.

I agree 100%. But to answer the OP my Pastor did mention Mothers Day very briefly prior to opening prayer, and suggested that the ladies request their favorite hymns for the singing portion. That was it, and it was a nice little change I must admit.

I didn't mention it in the pastoral prayer and my sermon text was Philippians 1:27-30. I'll be honest, I gave Julie her present on Saturday and made her a nice breakfast so we could reserve the Lord's Day for, you know, the Lord. It didn't even occur to me to even say anything about it because our church has made a conscious decision not to bring Hallmark holidays into the church (or Christmas or Easter for that matter).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back