Is Cessationism an Achilles Heel for Reformed Theology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SovereignGraceBaptist

Puritan Board Freshman
I have yet to encounter a sound defense of Cessationism that does not rely on some sort of inference or exegetical gymnastics. This realization was brought to me in a theological debate. This particular individual had his soteriology grounded in emotionalism with no Scriptural basis, while my presentation was based solely on plain Scriptural evidence. After posing logical questions even pertaining to His own view of God, the discussion on that ended with some concessions on his part. The 2nd discussion began over the doctrine of Cessationism. I was effectively cornered and unable to present a convincing argument to suggest that tongues, prophecy, and other such gifts had ceased.

For the benefit of those who may attempt to play semantic games, let me clarify that by Cessationism, I am referring to the doctrine that spiritual gifts, such as tongues, prophecy, healing, and the like, have been discontinued not the idea that miracles no longer occur. It should be noted that this is discussion does not relate to "God still works miracles today", nor is it a satisfactory answer to questions most raised, as we are not discussing hyper-cessationism.

How can we account for the fact that many non-Apostles were able to perform the same miracles as the Apostles? While one may acknowledge the distinction between the office of a disciple (student) and that of an Apostle (Apostolos/messenger/sent one), this still does not satisfactorily address the issue, answer any questions, or further the discussion. Even in Matthew 7, which pertains to the Great White Throne Judgment, there are numerous individuals who performed such miracles.

An example that I have come across is in 1 Corinthians 14:23: "If, therefore, the whole church comes together and all speak in tongues, and outsiders or unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are out of your minds?" If tongues are merely intended to relay the Gospel to those who speak a different language, why does Paul pose this question to the Corinthians? Why is the entire church speaking in tongues together? If tongues are only heard in one's own language, why would outsiders think that everyone was out of their mind?

In my opinion, a more compelling argument needs to be made; citing that Paul left Tromphimus sick doesn't mean anything more about cessationism than John 3:16 teaches pelagianism. Merely drawing a distinction between Apostles and Disciples, asserting that "the canon is closed", or that this was some sort of dispensation prior to seventy A.D, does not resolve anything, as most orthodox charismatics would concur with the canon being closed, as well as a distinction between apostles and disciples. A more substantive defense is required than simply asserting that God still works miracles today, while simultaneously denying that any of the spiritual gifts and their execution by believers are gone.
Redirecting people to theological books and lectures does little to address the actual question. That is akin to dispensationalists who resort to twisting the Word of God to fit their narrative into the Bible, and who must have charts outlining ages and dispensations.If your view of this issue is premised on a form of preterism, the debate is already lost. No one can confidently claim to have fully comprehended eschatology. If it based on this creed or that confession, again its lost. If it is based on a great church father who had a lot to say, the debate is over. The Word of God is the final authority, and we can attack Benny Hinn and Kenneth Copeland all day, but in reality that is the low hanging fruit of a perverse wicked movement, lets talk about actual Bible believers who are convinced of these gifts. Our theology cannot be formed as a reaction to the perversity of prosperity preachers. I have heard many godly reformed Preachers from Piper to Paul Washer give interesting answers on this, so it would be wrong to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

So, I will ask because I cannot come to answer, can anyone give a clear biblical teaching where it is directly stated in Scripture that spiritual gifts have ceased? (Important note: lets try not to classify all charismatics as Word of Faith cultist who speak things into existence and have "trips to Heaven". Most charismatics that I know, will agree that Duplantis, Copeland, etc are frauds and liars.

Just an FYI, I have Justin Peters "Clouds without Water" on DVD, and I've listened to it 20 or so times; For every argument there seems to be an equal or stronger counter argument. Word of Faith does not equal charismatic as evidenced with Piper and others.
Most charismatics I have spoken with will concede that the vast majority of alleged spiritual gifts employed in churches today are false and emotionally driven. Pointing to one particular church or pastor does not negate the argument, as most will agree of the ludicrous abuses, even Dr. Michael Brown will concede this. A question that I have to ask you all, if you could remove your biases, would be, if you were to read the Bible from cover to cover, would you or anyone you know be able to point towards a Scripture or theological treatise therein that suggest these gifts ceased. Again, I have never engaged in any of these, that being said, if we want proper theology, it be brought up against Scripture to test it. We use the same standard on Arminians, Dispensationist, etc. I have studied long enough to know that one or two inferences doesn't dictate anything, much less the truth, if that were so, the pre-tribulation rapture would be true.

I think a lot of this discussion about "miracles" hinges on our definition of what a miracle is.

I think we need to differentiate between signs performed by God's messengers, to authenticate their message, and unique acts performed by God in his sovereign will.

Ask yourself these questions.

Can we give a solid Scriptural argument to the sovereignty of God in salvation? Yes. There are innumerable verses and entire chapters on such.
Can we give a solid Scriptural argument to the depravity of mankind? Yes. The Scripture is replete with them, it is the theme.
Can we give a solid Scriptural argument against antinomianism? Yes.

If all three of your answers to that are resoundingly yes, but for some reason, your confidence is not galvanized on Cessationism, It would be best to form a better argument and search the Scriptures, we can talk about the Puritans and Reformers all day, but at the end of the day, we must ask the important question. Is this belief something that can be easily seen in Scripture, with no lens of bias being worn?

I think a lot of this discussion about "miracles" hinges on our definition of what a miracle is.

I think we need to differentiate between signs performed by God's messengers, to authenticate their message, and unique acts performed by God in his sovereign will.
Sure, but that is not an answer to the question. The topic being tongues, prophecy, healing. If there is no solid Scriptural basis that declares such, how can it be so confidently stated? Because our spiritual predecessors believed so? Could it be that the reformers were busy reclaiming soteriology, as there current fight was not Pneumatology? For example, you will never get eschatological consensus between any theological camp, save the cultist 7th day Adventist. Why? Because the discussions have not been had, Scripture isn’t entirely clear to our finite minds about the roll out of such matters.

Last edited:
Show me one human being alive today that is capable of speaking languages he's never studied, or one human being who has the power to heal people at will.

Just one.

Sure, but that is not an answer to the question. The topic being tongues, prophecy, healing. If there is no solid Scriptural basis that declares such, how can it be so confidently stated? Because our spiritual predecessors believed so? Could it be that the reformers were busy reclaiming soteriology, as there current fight was not Pneumatology? For example, you will never get eschatological consensus between any theological camp, save the cultist 7th day Adventist. Why? Because the discussions have not been had, Scripture isn’t entirely clear to our finite minds about the roll out of such matters.
I think it might. What was the purpose of the miracles God worked through his apostles and prophets?

Show me one human being alive today that is capable of speaking languages he's never studied, or one human being who has the power to heal people at will.

Just one.
Great zinger! Perhaps you missed some of the post. There appears to be a second form of tongues in which outsiders would deem believers mad if they heard, as seen in Corinthians.
Again this goes back to our rudimentary understanding of this issue. Again this is an issue of inquiry on my part, not a theological statement. Its seems to me that you believe that tongues was a singular gift and there was always a language to which it was applied, this would not fit the description of the tongues spoken of in 1 Corinthians.

Just one.
Yes. From a practical standpoint, we can see that they've either ceased or become so overwhelmingly diminished that they might as well be ceased. Either way, it's clear God does not use them to confirm his gospel anymore. Though he once did. Heb. 2:4

I think it might. What was the purpose of the miracles God worked through his apostles and prophets?
While they were used as signs to unbelievers, that doesn’t mean they are over. Correct? For example Paul Washer, one of our highly respected brothers, someone who has spent more time as a missionary, probably than the combination of us all, had a different opinion.

Yes. From a practical standpoint, we can see that they've either ceased or become so overwhelmingly diminished that they might as well be ceased. Either way, it's clear God does not use them to confirm his gospel anymore. Though he once did. Heb. 2:4
Hebrews 2:4 does not directly convey that anything has ceased. If a missionary were to go to a land unevangelized would the gifts be active or not?

Hebrews 2:4 does not directly convey that anything has ceased. If a missionary were to go to a land unevangelized would the gifts be active or not?

Considering that we have a lot of records of missionaries going to unevangelized lands in the last couple hundred years, and no credible reports of the gifts being active, I'd say "not".

It's not a "zinger". It's a comment that cuts straight to the heart of the issue.

I'm a cessationist because the gifts have quite obviously ceased. If someone can show me evidence that the gifts are still active in the world, I'd change my mind.
Sure, much like Thomas needed to see the holds in Christ hands?

Aside from that, if your faith is entirely based on what you in your life have seen, then that poses a much more serious and larger theological question. Again, based on 1 Corinthians usage of tongues there appears to be a distinction between the conveying of the Gospel to another tongue and speaking in a mysterious language.

You’re not debating a charismatic, you’re talking to a reformed Baptist with questions. It’s best to answer with Scripture, not with loaded questions.

with no lens of bias being worn?

From one Reformed Baptist to another, I praise God for your interest in evangelism judging from your signature. We're in sore need of more laborers to go out into the highways and hedges and compel people to come in.

With that being said, I'd encourage you to take a look at Watanabe's Ugly Duckling Theorem. Or just try to pick an ugly duckling out of a flock. A lens of bias is always worn, without exception.

Considering that we have a lot of records of missionaries going to unevangelized lands in the last couple hundred years, and no credible reports of the gifts being active, I'd say "not".
Again, I’m seeing a lack of Scriptural answers, it’s based on statements. You may use Hebrews 2, but that doesn’t explicitly state anything regarding the discontinuity of spiritual gifts

Again, I’m seeing a lack of Scriptural answers, it’s based on statements. You may use Hebrews 2, but that doesn’t explicitly state anything regarding the discontinuity of spiritual gifts
1 Cor. 12:28 And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?

Where are the apostles, prophets, miracle workers, those possessing the gift of healing, those who speak with tongues, and those who interpret?

I can point to the teachers, elders, and deacons. But I can't point to the above. Maybe they were used for a particular time for a particular function in the history of salvation.

Whether the gifts continue or have ceased is a matter of observation.

I don't need scripture to tell me that my wife is not home right now. I can observe by the fact that she isn't present in any room of the house, nor the back yard, nor the front yard, and that her car is missing from the garage, that she is in fact, not home.

Likewise, since scripture doesn't say "these miraculous gifts will continue until the end of time", I am justified in judging that the gifts have ceased since the observation is that the gifts have ceased.

1 Cor. 12:28 And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?

Where are the apostles, prophets, miracle workers, those possessing the gift of healing, those who speak with tongues, and those who interpret?

I can point to the teachers, elders, and deacons. But I can't point to the above. Maybe they were used for a particular time for a particular function in the history of salvation.
That is very selective, if there are teachers, would that not assume the subsequent is also there? You are saying different time and different function, but this is the problem of the Dispensationalist, which mutilates the Word of God to fit time periods of this and that. Should not the Word of God serve as its own interpreter despite what our experiences are?

Whether the gifts continue or have ceased is a matter of observation.

I don't need scripture to tell me that my wife is not home right now. I can observe by the fact that she isn't present in any room of the house, nor the back yard, nor the front yard, and that her car is missing from the garage, that she is in fact, not home.

Likewise, since scripture doesn't say "these miraculous gifts will continue until the end of time", I am justified in judging that the gifts have ceased since the observation is that the gifts have ceased.
You leave yourself in a theological ditch, as multiple Scriptures that speak about it. Example, you may have never seen a demon possessed person, that doesn’t mean there are no such people.

That is very selective, if there are teachers, would that not assume the subsequent is also there? You are saying different time and different function, but this is the problem of the Dispensationalist, which mutilates the Word of God to fit time periods of this and that. Should not the Word of God serve as its own interpreter despite what our experiences are?
No. The answer to Paul's rhetorical questions is "no, not everyone possesses these offices."

You leave yourself in a theology ditch, as multiple Scriptures speak about it, while you may have never seen a truly demon possessed person, that doesn’t mean there are no such.

There are no scriptures that say "the gifts will continue until the end of time". The scriptures do however record that miraculous gifts were in existence at one time. I have not seem them myself, but I believe the witness of scripture. Scripture does not say that these gifts exist now, therefore I am left with observation.

Your comment about demon possession is immaterial. Scripture records that there were demon possessed people. I did not see them myself, but I trust the scriptural witness. Scripture does not say, "there are demon possessed people now", but I have personally seen people behaving in ways that are consonant with the descriptions of demon possession in scripture. Do I know that they were demon possessed? No. Do I believe they could have been demon possessed? Sure.

I've never seen or heard any credible reports of people in the modern age speaking languages they have never been taught, nor healing people at will, nor speaking words from God of future events that came to pass.

Therefore, I conclude that the "gifts" as we call them are not currently in existence.

There are no scriptures that say "the gifts will continue until the end of time". The scriptures do however record that miraculous gifts were in existence at one time. I have not seem them myself, but I believe the witness of scripture. Scripture does not say that these gifts exist now, therefore I am left with observation.

Your comment about demon possession is immaterial. Scripture records that there were demon possessed people. I did not see them myself, but I trust the scriptural witness. Scripture does not say, "there are demon possessed people now", but I have personally seen people behaving in ways that are consonant with the descriptions of demon possession in scripture. Do I know that they were demon possessed? No. Do I believe they could have been demon possessed? Sure.

I've never seen or heard any credible reports of people in the modern age speaking languages they have never been taught, nor healing people at will, nor speaking words from God of future events that came to pass.

Therefore, I conclude that the "gifts" as we call them are not currently in existence.
Say you have no Scriptural basis without telling me you have no Scriptural basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back