Jacob Jones Janeway - Meditations On The Lord’s Supper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Puritan Board Graduate
May this be a blessing to you as it has been to me.

From Chapter 24 The Christian’s Warfare

2021 by Log College Press Ed.

Pg. 117:

The world in which I live lieth in wickedness. Being in rebellion against God, it is opposed to his cause, and his religion among men. It is of course an enemy to all his friends, and will not fail to attempt to defile the purity of their heart, and to turn them aside from the path of duty. It has various enticing objects to seduce them from the way of God‘s Comandments; riches, honor, and pleasure, by witch it controls and holds in bondage all unrenewed men. Let me watch against their seductive influence…….

……..If in the prosecution of regular business, it please God, by his propitious Providence, to grant success to my enterprises and exertions, so as to advance me to the possession of wealth; or if he bestow upon me a large inheritance; I am not to refuse his gifts, but thankfully to enjoy them. But, then, let me beware, lest I indulge inordinate desire and anxious care, either in the pursuit, or in the possession of wealth. “Take heed, and beware of covetousnesses,” is the injunction of my Savior; “for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth” (Luke 12:15). “Godliness with contentment is great gain,” says Paul, “for we brought nothing into this world; and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment, let us be therewith content.

Pg. 122 and to encourage
When I consider my own weakness, and compare myself with the number, power, subtility, and influence of my enemies, how discouraging the warfare! But Blessed be thy name, I am not called to war in my own strength. I may rely on thy almighty aid. Thou hast provided for me a complete armor. O! Help me to put it on; and lead me on to fight under the conduct of the great Captain of salvation. I am not alone in this warfare. I have for my fellow soldiers, all the chosen and redeemed of God on earth, who are sending up prayer to God for themselves and each other. And I am taught by thy word to believe that the holy angels are ministering to my welfare and safety. More are on my side than they that be against me. With such friends and allies, I may, relying on the grace of my God, go on cheerfully in the warfare, and entertain a confident hope of a final and triumphant victory over all my spiritual enemies. I shall at last tread them under my feet, and exult forever in the finished salvation of my glorious Redeemer. Into thy hands, O my God, I commit my soul. Preserve me, blameless, onto thy heavenly kingdom, and bestow upon me a crown of life, for Jesus’ sake. Amen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back