John Winebrenner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what Wikipedia had to say:

John Winebrenner (March 25, 1797 in Glade Valley, Maryland - September 12, 1860 in Harrisburg), founder of the Church of God.

He studied at Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, was ordained in the German Reformed Church in 1820 and became a pastor at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, where his revival preaching and his Revival Hymn-Book (1825) brought about a break between his followers and the Reformed Church.

His Christian testimony can be found in the book The Testimony of a Hundred Witnesses (1858) edited by John Frederick Weishampel. In 1830 he founded the Church of God (whose members are commonly called "Winebrennerians"); he was speaker of its conference and edited its publication, The Church Advocate, until his death.

[edit] Books

* Brief Views of the Church of God (1840)
* A Treatise on Regeneration (1844)
* Doctrinal and Practical Sermons (1860)
* The History of all the Religious Denominations in the United States (1844) with IB Rupp.

Yea, I read that. So his favor of "revivals" and writing of a hymn book caused him to be removed from the "reformed" flock? I've read sites that suggest it was his staunch stance against slavery that caused problems (not saying that's true). My families Church, and the Church I grew up in is Church of God and some of their older statements of faith aren't too bad (the new ones aren't "bad" just pretty vague) and as I may be talking to the pastor soon I'd like to be as educated about their founder and founding as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back