Near Font Royal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herald

Administrator
Staff member
I had to be in the Manassas area for business early this morning. I am now leaving Manassas and heading for the Front Royal area. I may take a short ride up Skyline Dr. to gaze at the gorgeous vista of the Shenandoahs in the fall. I hope my iPhone can take decent pics.

if you can, post some pics here for us ex-pat Virginians.

I miss the Shenendoah and the Blue Ridge in autumn.

:(

You're not the only one. I grew up in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains, and I think it is the prettiest place on God's green earth. Texas has...heat, scrub cedar, and prickly pear cactus. Not to mention fire ants.

You're not the only one. I grew up in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains, and I think it is the prettiest place on God's green earth. Texas has...heat, scrub cedar, and prickly pear cactus. Not to mention fire ants.

You guys might want to check out this thread - Fall Foliage - for some fall pictures. There are several on there that I have taken in the last few weeks in Wythe, Bland, Carroll, and Montgomery Counties, VA - right here in the most beautiful section of the Blue Ridge. :)

photo-9.jpg

photo-8.jpg

photo-10.jpg

photo-15.jpg

photo-14.jpg

photo-13.jpg

photo-12.jpg

Hey, I got to go four wheeling off Skyline Drive back in 2001. It was an emergency, a friend had passed out while hiking part of the Appalachian Trail while talking to his wife via cell phone. I met a Park ranger at the parking area he was camped near, and since my vehicle was 4WD and his wasn't, I got to bounce down some trails to find him. He was OK, but it was cool to do something no 'civilian' ever gets to do legally. I live pretty close, as you might suspect. If you ever get this way again, Bill, PM me and I'll give you directions to some places as good or better than Skyline, and you won't have to pay to see them, or fight the crowds. Much better views, too. There's a firetower you can see seven bends of the Shenandoah from that will just blow you away.

David, beautiful. No offense, but you obviously haven't been to the Old Dominion. I may be Yankee through and through, but I think Virginia is one of the most beautiful places on this planet.

Hey, I got to go four wheeling off Skyline Drive back in 2001. It was an emergency, a friend had passed out while hiking part of the Appalachian Trail while talking to his wife via cell phone. I met a Park ranger at the parking area he was camped near, and since my vehicle was 4WD and his wasn't, I got to bounce down some trails to find him. He was OK, but it was cool to do something no 'civilian' ever gets to do legally. I live pretty close, as you might suspect. If you ever get this way again, Bill, PM me and I'll give you directions to some places as good or better than Skyline, and you won't have to pay to see them, or fight the crowds. Much better views, too. There's a firetower you can see seven bends of the Shenandoah from that will just blow you away.

Brad, I'll take you up on that offer.

btw I have to be Gainesville tomorrow. Any PB'er in the area that would like to get together for breakfast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back