near death experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformingstudent

Puritan Board Junior
I just wanted to know what the opinion was of those here on the PB concerning those who claim to have gone to hell and whether their testimonies should be believed.
Many years ago after I lost my mom, I was into learning more about the idea of life after death ( I was a babe in Christ back then and did not know any better) and was reading books by people who claimed to have seen the other side or have been to hell. One book i remember was by a Dr. Maurice Rawlings
who claimed to have seen a person die before his eyes and brought back again
who had a hellish experience. What would you make of this and can such ideas be trusted.

Thanks.

I typically ignore such stories.
Once, when I had sinned against the Lord and went to sleep before confessing it, I suddenly couldn't breath and felt like God had stopped all of my body's movement and ability apart from thought. I desperately confessed the sin and promised to do this, that, and the other thing so that "God" would let me breath again. Finally, I gasped for air.
Now, I highly doubt that the experience was anything more than a momentary, natural inability to breath, but it was the subconscious fear that drove my experience. Likewise, I believe that many people who have the "near death experiences" have subconscious fears that are manifest in dream-like experiences. I'm sure those experiences scared the hell out of 'em ( :D ), but I don't feel inclined to think that the experiences were really of hell.

Just my opinion.

I had one when I was younger, I went to sleep and sometime later I was awakened floating above my body. I knew beyond any doubt if I went passed the ceiling I would be in Hell that night. Needless to say it scared me plenty and I cried out to God.

I closed my eyes and when I reopened them I was back in my body, that night I started my Christian journey. Now there will be those who dismiss this, but I know it was real.

I had one when I was younger, I went to sleep and sometime later I was awakened floating above my body. I knew beyond any doubt if I went passed the ceiling I would be in Hell that night. Needless to say it scared me plenty and I cried out to God.

I closed my eyes and when I reopened them I was back in my body, that night I started my Christian journey. Now there will be those who dismiss this, but I know it was real.

What's interesting is that the experience of "looking down on one's own body" is an early experience in one's journey as a psychic. A man who is now a Christian explained it to me; he was dabbling in the occult and at the same time involving himself in very demonic activities to become a psychic, and he and all of the other people who were giving themselves to Satan for special abilities (at least, that was what they were trying to do) experienced this.

It's very cool that the Lord used that same thing to save you, Doug.

I just wanted to know what the opinion was of those here on the PB concerning those who claim to have gone to hell and whether their testimonies should be believed.
Many years ago after I lost my mom, I was into learning more about the idea of life after death ( I was a babe in Christ back then and did not know any better) and was reading books by people who claimed to have seen the other side or have been to hell. One book i remember was by a Dr. Maurice Rawlings
who claimed to have seen a person die before his eyes and brought back again
who had a hellish experience. What would you make of this and can such ideas be trusted.

Thanks.

Usually its wack jobs who are trying to get some attention who make up these stories.

It is the brain doing its very mysterious things...nothing more.

This sounds very naturalistic. We believe in a spiritual realm. How can we just automatically write off every near-death experience, demonic/angelic experience, etc. with a naturalistic explanation?

Likewise, I believe that many people who have the "near death experiences" have subconscious fears that are manifest in dream-like experiences. I'm sure those experiences scared the hell out of 'em ( :D ), but I don't feel inclined to think that the experiences were really of hell.

Just my opinion.
I've had a near death experience...truly, there was no way I should have survived that accident. It was nothing like the stories one typically hears and I don't know how much of it was a combination of my head being jolted, my lung collapsing, and yes, even the Holy Spirit. All I do know is that it was the most peaceful moment of my life. There was no fear.

A very good friend of mine who is now with the Lord told me this personal story. He was declared dead in the emergency room at the hospital, and was gone for several minutes. He revived. He says that before he "died" he was not a believer and clearly headed to hell. He awoke a believer. He said he knew God sent him back. He lived only five years after that, but was shining testimony of God's goodness and grace.

I don't know what to make of near death experiences, but I can not deny the testimony of this friend of mine.

I don't belive in them at all. I do believe people believe they had them but that the mind has played out an all to common trick on them. Sorry:2cents:

What's interesting is that the experience of "looking down on one's own body" is an early experience in one's journey as a psychic. A man who is now a Christian explained it to me; he was dabbling in the occult and at the same time involving himself in very demonic activities to become a psychic, and he and all of the other people who were giving themselves to Satan for special abilities (at least, that was what they were trying to do) experienced this.

It's very cool that the Lord used that same thing to save you, Doug.

I never dabbled in the occult, never came close. That's interesting though.

I was raised in a Christian home so I thought I was okay. The pastor preached a message and held an alter call and I thought I'm fine.

Found out that night I wasn't.

This sounds very naturalistic. We believe in a spiritual realm. How can we just automatically write off every near-death experience, demonic/angelic experience, etc. with a naturalistic explanation?

In the same way as I write off alien abduction stories, we really cannot trust our senses half the time.

God can do whatever he wants, the laws of science are Gods servant not his master but God does tend to work within these laws. There is cast iron evidence that people make up supernatural experiences all the time, either innocently or not. It is a question of probability, has God decided to cast aside science for some form of special revelation for reasons that do not really make sense or is someones brain playing tricks on them?

In the same way as I write off alien abduction stories, we really cannot trust our senses half the time.

God can do whatever he wants, the laws of science are Gods servant not his master but God does tend to work within these laws. There is cast iron evidence that people make up supernatural experiences all the time, either innocently or not. It is a question of probability, has God decided to cast aside science for some form of special revelation for reasons that do not really make sense or is someones brain playing tricks on them?

How is it special revelation? I didn't see lights, angelic beings, or any of that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back