On fleeing solitude (Martin Luther)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
By all means flee solitude, for the devil watches and lies in wait for you most of all when you are alone.

Martin Luther to Jerome Weller, July 1530 in Luther: Letters of Spiritual Counsel, ed. and trans. Theodore G. Tappert, Library of Christian Classics, vol. 18 (London: SCM Press, 1955), p. 85.

We are studying the sixth petition of the Lord's Prayer with Thomas Watson's book on the Lord's Prayer in our Wednesday night studies at church presently, and he warns about this often.

One of Satan's favorite tools in this day and age is the lack of solitude, a perpetual busy-ness and distraction that keeps people entangled in the noise of our modern world and unable to withdraw from it in order to listen to God.

Luther's advice may be useful in particular contexts and to particular people, but as an across-the-board recommendation, it's a pretty poor one.

Perhaps this is an over reaction due to his previous years as a monk when he faced the recurring torments of the accuser? Time out in God's creation is a mighty comfort to me. Our society is so banal and noisy!

I'm in a providential season of life where I really appreciate this warning, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I will tune in to your Wednesday night studies on Sermon Audio, Pastor @Grant Van Leuven.

One of Satan's favorite tools in this day and age is the lack of solitude, a perpetual busy-ness and distraction that keeps people entangled in the noise of our modern world and unable to withdraw from it in order to listen to God.

Luther's advice may be useful in particular contexts and to particular people, but as an across-the-board recommendation, it's a pretty poor one.
I think the key is that Luther's use of "solitude" sounds a lot more like how we would use isolation. Viewed in that light, I believe it remains very sound advice.

The word Luther used is Einsamkeit, which primarily means loneliness, but can also be translated seclusion, isolation, or solitude.

The word Luther used is Einsamkeit, which primarily means loneliness, but can also be translated seclusion, isolation, or solitude.
I like the rendering of loneliness much better, as it is completely different from solitude, isolation, etc. Loneliness can make a person do crazy things; while solitude is sometimes needed to gather ones thoughts, be reflective, or get away from the way the world wants us to be perpetually busy. I have a friend who I am struggling with now, who after saying he couldn't find friends in the church; has started making friends with the world and has stopped going to church. One can practice solitude and be totally encompassed with the presence and affections of the Lord; while a lonely person may feel distant from God, have no friends, and seek to remedy that void with vice or bad company. The problem is, some people can be in a room full of people and still feel lonely; like no one understands them, or the gathering is all for show and void of authenticity. I can totally see the Devil getting in there with a person who feels like Elijah did hiding in that cave; or trying to take advantage of someone who has been in the desert for quite some time.

This is why I like Ginny Owens little bit in her song "If You Want Me To."

And when the whole world turns against me, and Im all by myself,
And I cant hear you answer, my cries for help,
I will remember the suffering that your love put you through,
And I will walk through the valley if you want me to.

Last edited:
I think the key is that Luther's use of "solitude" sounds a lot more like how we would use isolation. Viewed in that light, I believe it remains very sound advice.

Solitude and isolation are very different concepts. Some solitude is essential for spiritual health, as our Lord himself knew - again, barring circumstances unique to a person (such as, for instance, suicidal ideations or struggle with private sexual sins that necessitate readily available company as an aid against temptation).

Generally speaking, it is good to use a little bit of common sense when interpreting a source. Phil has helpfully pointed out the meaning of the German original, but, even without that insight, it should be obvious that Luther was not saying there is no place for times of private worship and meditation.

Generally speaking, it is good to use a little bit of common sense when interpreting a source. Phil has helpfully pointed out the meaning of the German original, but, even without that insight, it should be obvious that Luther was not saying there is no place for times of private worship and meditation.
I dont know; the way Luther was acting in his cell during his motion picture debut might lead some to think otherwise....

Precisely. Which is why in the context of a letter to a friend struggling with assurance, my choice of translation would probably be loneliness. The other terms convey a physical state that is itself morally and even psychologically neutral, while loneliness also expresses an undesirable state of being brought about by subjecting oneself to that physical state in an unwise manner.

[Reflecting on other posts but responding to support Jeri.]

Context is everything. Luther was a pastor even more than a theologian in my view. He knows what he's talking about. And I think Thomas Watson does too. But it depends on the context. Luther said plenty about getting up extra early to pray alone before an especially difficult day. Context is king just as much as with exegesis of Scripture. We as a Session at our church certainly have had times when certain folks giving into sin resolved to isolate themselves from the body and from the pastoral support they had been benefiting from: they block all communications and hide (some of them it has been amazing how much they had deliberately created a lifestyle of isolation to support their heinous sins before coming to church) and they spiraled out of control back in isolation in past and wicked sins. This is what Luther (and Watson) are talking about no doubt (or other dangers related to isolation for the wrong reasons and its dangerous effects). Watson also warns often against melancholy in his study of the sixth petition which relates and leads to despair, which he says the Devil is leading us to with all other sins to get us to kill ourselves: and that is the epitome of isolation. Modern Christianity certainly exalts self and dissection from Christ's Body in worship and life (this is no new problem but certainly worse today with "social" media). This kind of context is what Luther (and Watson) are ministering to. There is plenty to balance with other statements in other contexts to know they fully support extended times of private prayer.

Such Scriptures come to mind for consideration at least in some ways relative:

Heb. 10:24-25: And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

1 Cor. 12:15-22: If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling? But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him. And if they were all one member, where were the body? But now are they many members, yet but one body. And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you. Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:

Prov. 18:1: Through desire a man, having separated himself [some translate, "isolated himself"], seeketh and intermeddleth with all wisdom.

Gen. 2:18: And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

Eccl. 4:9-12: Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

Phil. 2:3-4: Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

Even God Almighty in His sovereign aseity enjoys eternal fellowship as Triune.

Jeri, as always I very much appreciate your encouragement. And if I remember correctly from some other messages you've sent not long ago, I think you would also benefit relating to why I gave the study on Wednesday nights with Thomas Watson's book on The Art of Divine Contentment and what was the impetus for it for me during deep depression after an incredible loss for my children and me (and how dangerous it is to be alone too much during such sad and lonely times of difficult providential adjustment when we are tempted to stay away from helping hearts and hands offered to us from Christ's Body and inadvertently delay our healing and next steps of a new phase of life to live following Christ our Lord): https://www.sermonaudio.com/search....The+Art+of+Divine+Contentment&AudioOnly=false

Context is everything. Luther was a pastor even more than a theologian in my view. He knows what he's talking about. And I think Thomas Watson does too. But it depends on the context. Luther said plenty about getting up extra early to pray alone before an especially difficult day. Context is king just as much as with exegesis of Scripture. We as a Session at our church certainly have had times when certain folks giving into sin resolved to isolate themselves from the body and from the pastoral support they had been benefiting from: they block all communications and hide (some of them it has been amazing how much they had deliberately created a lifestyle of isolation to support their heinous sins before coming to church) and they spiraled out of control back in isolation in past and wicked sins. This is what Luther (and Watson) are talking about no doubt (or other dangers related to isolation for the wrong reasons and its dangerous effects). Watson also warns often against melancholy in his study of the sixth petition which relates and leads to despair, which he says the Devil is leading us to with all other sins to get us to kill ourselves: and that is the epitome of isolation. Modern Christianity certainly exalts self and dissection from Christ's Body in worship and life (this is no new problem but certainly worse today with "social" media). This kind of context is what Luther (and Watson) are ministering to. There is plenty to balance with other statements in other contexts to know they fully support extended times of private prayer.

Heb. 10:24-25: And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

1 Cor. 12:15-22: If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling? But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him. And if they were all one member, where were the body? But now are they many members, yet but one body. And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you. Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:

Prov. 18:1: Through desire a man, having separated himself [some translate, "isolated himself"], seeketh and intermeddleth with all wisdom.

Gen. 2:18: And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

Eccl. 4:9-12: Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

Phil. 2:3-4: Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

Jeri, as always I very much appreciate your encouragement. And if I remember correctly from some other messages you've sent not long ago, I think you would also benefit relating to why I gave the study on Wednesday nights with Thomas Watson's book on The Art of Divine Contentment and what was the impetus for it for me during deep depression after an incredible loss for my children and me (and how dangerous it is to be alone too much during such sad and lonely times of difficult providential adjustment when we are tempted to stay away from helping hearts and hands offered to us from Christ's Body and inadvertently delay our healing and next steps of a new phase of life to live following Christ our Lord): https://www.sermonaudio.com/search....The+Art+of+Divine+Contentment&AudioOnly=false
Actually (as I expect you also may enjoy from your previous messages to us), I just married my eldest child and daughter last Friday and their chosen Scripture and the sermon further emphasizes the need for "togetherness" not only in marriage but reflecting and as the foundation of the church: https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=782353505942

Thanks so much, that is all very encouraging! Thank you for the sermons; I do look forward to hearing and benefitting as from the one above.
It happens that the ladies of our church are reading The Art of Divine Contentment together (and having it on Audible, I'm often listening ahead) :)

I am so happy to hear about your daughter's marriage; I did know about your family's terrible loss, and rejoice in how the Lord sustained you all. He is good. I look forward to hearing that sermon as well.

Last edited:
The prayer closet is superior in every way to the library, in my view. I do acknowledge that it is not good for man to be alone, but is the Spirit-filled Christian ever really alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back