Preparing for Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyler

Puritan Board Graduate
Voddie Baucham delineates four areas a young man should consider when preparing for marriage (or that a father should consider in a prospective suitor): his abilities to perform as a Prophet (representing God to his family); a Priest (representing his family before God); a Provider (providing for his family's needs); and a Protector (protecting his family).

Of course it isn't necessary to be a perfect model in any of these areas--he's fond of saying "I grew up some in Los Angeles, but mostly when I got married." But what kinds of things should a young man be working on? What are some practical goals to set for these areas? Not necessarily things that absolutely must be attained before marriage (though if you have some, throw those out too). What is the "gold standard" to shoot for?

Or is it one of those cases where there isn't really a specific set of goals, it kind of varies from situation to situation?

If I had a daughter that had a potential suitor I would be looking for a few things (in order of importance):
1. Strong walk with God.
2. Job (or reasonable prospect of job if in college)
2. Kind and gentle
3. Intelligent and friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back