Psalm Tunes - A thread for sharing and requesting recommended psalm tunes or audio of psalmody

Sam Jer

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello all,

Since I can't be the only psalmody-lover in a church that dosen't sing the psalms, I thought we could have one thread for anyone who is looking to learn a new tune for a certain psalm or to share lesser-known tunes he found work well for a psalm. This could also be a place to collect psalm audio files, youtube videos and youtube playlists.

I'll go first - I really feel I am using "St. Anne" too much, and it is the best tune I know for psalm 24 (because I don't know many tunes). What tunes go well with psalm 24 in the Scottish Psalter?

Last edited:
My go-to for psalmody is the Youtube channel Crown and Covenant.

Also, Timeless Vocal Tapestry - although they do not have the whole book in music though.

My go-to for psalmody is the Youtube channel Crown and Covenant.

Also, Timeless Vocal Tapestry - although they do not have the whole book in music though.
Thank you for the recommendations. If I found the right one, it seems "crown and covenant" use the freechurch's new psalter, and Iv'e accustomed myself to the 1650 by now and actually ordered a copy; and I prefer to keep to one translation for now.

The site Here uses the scottish psalter and appears to reccomend several tunes with recordings for each psalm

Hello all,

Since I can't be the only psalmody-lover in a church that dosen't sing the psalms, I thought we could have one thread for anyone who is looking to learn a new tune for a certain psalm or to share lesser-known tunes he found work well for a psalm. This could also be a place to collect psalm audio files, youtube videos and youtube playlists.

I'll go first - I really feel I am using "St. Anne" too much, and it is the best tune I know for psalm 24 (because I don't know many tunes). What tunes go well with psalm 24 in the Scottish Psalter?
St George’s Edinburgh for Verses 7-10. Easily one of my favourite tunes.

Been hooked on this since it came out. Its a husband and wife combo, andtThey did all 150 and offered to the world at no-cost download. I think they also offer the instro's and words for those who want to use it for services.

Poor Bishop Hooper - Every Psalm

Hello all,

Are you using the 1650 Psalter app? It suggests Praetorious among others for Psalm 24.

Been hooked on this since it came out. Its a husband and wife combo, andtThey did all 150 and offered to the world at no-cost download. I think they also offer the instro's and words for those who want to use it for services.
Yes! I recently discovered them. They're excellent

For Psalm 92 my tunebook suggests Howard or St Fulbert for v1-11, and Effingham or Contemplation for v12-15.

As someone who came from a non-Psalm-singing background, I would recommend the aforementioned SoundCloud playlist. I suggest making your own playlists of them to learn specific ones. I use playlists to categorise my favourites for casual listening and ones I don't know but like for learning when my brain is more actively focused on it. I have had a good go at compiling my own lists (which always get edited) by looking through the Psalter app, a few playlists on SoundCloud, and sitting through quite a few FP services and family worships. Now I seem to have learned many tunes (though not always the names -- it is kind of intuitive now after hearing the first few notes, and it gets easier). Practice makes perfect. If needed, I'm sure I or others would be willing to compile a list of tunes in one post.

My favourites currently are these:

What short meter tunes do you use, other than selma?
Zenka (FP missionary tune), Khumalo (rare & new I think, but lovely!), Dennis, Diademata, Golden Hill, Carlisle, Garelochside, Old 134th.
I have also seen St Ethelwald, Franconia, Swabia, and Pembroke.
I also like Kerry but don't remember having sung it with anyone else.

Are there any good common meter tunes that fit Psalm 22:21-27? Preferably something that is somber enough for the part preceding but joyous enough for the part following.

Are there any good common meter tunes that fit Psalm 22:21-27? Preferably something that is somber enough for the part preceding but joyous enough for the part following.
Sometimes an intentional tempo change can really fit a change in mood.

Back