Question on "The Mothers Blessing" - by Puritan Dorothy Leigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejonescue

Puritan Board Junior
Tonight I was searching through the ESTC to see if I could come across a book I could do for Womens History Month. While the opportunity is there to do a compilation of funeral sermons of Pastors wives, I dont think I have the time to do that before the end of this month. Coming to no real end, I think I am going to do Samuel Torshells "The Womans Glory."

But, I did find an interesting looking book by a Puritan woman named Dorothy Leigh (no relation to Edward,) called "The Mothers Blessing." While I kind of have some background info on her and the book (https://folgerpedia.folger.edu/The_Mothers_Blessing_by_Dorothy_Leigh) after seeing it looks like it was reprinted regularly form 1616 to about 1725. While it seems obvious to save this for Mothers Day in May, I was wanting to know if any have read and have seen any issues with it? Usually books these popular tend to have been reprinted or more widely talked about, and was just seeing if there were any issues from the onset?

Thank you all, any info would be greatly appreciated.

First published in 1616, Dorothy Leigh–a Puritan mother and widow–wrote the instructive devotional work The Mothers Blessing. Filled with admonitions for personal comportment and injunctions to pray, Leigh’s work struck a chord with early modern audiences. Along with the dedication of her work to her three sons, Leigh also dedicated the tract to one of the most famous mothers of her day: Elizabeth of Bohemia. This article will provide details of Leigh’s life, the one hundred year print and publication history of her book, and focus on the holdings of three editions of The Mothers Blessing held by the Folger Shakespeare Library.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back