Reading Plan for Old Testament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartoflesh

Puritan Board Junior
I've developed somewhat of an Old Testament guilt complex. You see, I find it extremely difficult to stick to a Bible reading plan throughout the year. The end result is that I end up neglecting the Old Testament. The guilt complex is magnified when I notice that the New Testament is about one tenth of my bible!

I need help developing a plan of attack. Just reading 3 chapters at a time from Genesis to Malachi doesn't seem to work for me. One idea I had was to start with biographical studies. What would you suggest for a practical plan?

You might try the Puritan Board's Bible reading plan. For most of the year, you read an OT passage, a Psalm, and a NT passage. At the end of the year you read passages by topic.

Originally posted by blhowes
You might try the Puritan Board's Bible reading plan. For most of the year, you read an OT passage, a Psalm, and a NT passage. At the end of the year you read passages by topic.

Thanks, I have tried reading plans like this but have not been successful. What I have in mind is something more narrow and focused. I am giving up on trying to understand the Old Testament in a year, and am willing to go more slowly, more focused.

[Edited on 11-8-2005 by Rick Larson]

Read the historical books first for an overview, then fill in. I borrowed that idea from RC Sproul Sr.

If you read 15 verses a day, you can get through the OT in two years. Of course that's in Hebrew. ;)

On a more serious note, try reading them in the order of the Hebrew canon. The English Bible follows a chronological arrangement, whereas the Hebrew Bible follows a covenantal arrangement.

[Edited on 11-9-2005 by kevin.carroll]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back