Rick Warren - why all the attention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herald

Administrator
Staff member
Am I correct to assume that most members of the PB have a pretty good understanding of what Rick Warren believes? This would include Saddleback church. If that is so, why is his name brought up so often? Just curious.

Maybe it's the opposite of schadenfreude, the malicious dissatisfaction in the fortunes of others.

Philippians 1:18 "What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice,"

Do we echo Paul's words when it comes to chuches such as Saddleback?

Originally posted by BaptistInCrisis
Philippians 1:18 "What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice,"

If Christ is truly proclaimed and people are brought into a true saving grace, then I would say yes, we should rejoice.

Originally posted by BaptistInCrisis

Here's the "Gospel" by Rick Warren, quoted from page 58.

"Second, receive. Receive Jesus into your life as your Lord and Savior. Receive his forgiveness for your sins. Receive his Spirit, who will be able to give you the power to fulfill your life purpose. The Bible says, "Whoever accepts and trusts the Son gets in on everything, life complete and forever!"

"Wherever you are reading this, I invite you to bow your head and quietly whisper the prayer that will change your eternity: "Jesus, I believe in you and I receive you." Go ahead.

If you sincerely meant that prayer, congratulations! Welcome to the family of God! You are now ready to discover and start living God's purpose for your life. I urge you to tell someone about it.

Originally posted by alwaysreforming

"Second, receive. Receive Jesus into your life as your Lord and Savior. Receive his forgiveness for your sins. Receive his Spirit, who will be able to give you the power to fulfill your life purpose. .
So if someone gets saved and 20 years down the line, they haven't achieved "their life's purpose", I guess they will be sorely disappointed in Jesus.

Imagine belief is contingent upon achievement of our ambitions.

Considering how many of us were saved in a non-reformed way and have come to embrace the DoG, I am not so quick to condemn the brother or sister who comes to Christ from Saddleback, the Church of the Nazarene (my first church) or the Catholic Church. This does not mean that I would agree with their methodology or their understanding of doctrine.

Only time will tell what God has decreed for each of them.

Bill & Gerry:

Amen! Let us look to the fruit or lack thereof on our own branches, and leave God to judge Warren's 'fruit'.

Just my :2cents: again...

Dwayne

It's true that God can strike a straight line with a crooked 'Rick'.

I think the man is turning into an ecclesiastical/theological 'train wreck'. I can't help but 'gawk' and add a few opinionated comments while I watch the smoke rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back