Romans Commentaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theogenes

Puritan Board Junior
These are the Romans commentaries I have. What am I missing?? Any good recommendations?
TIA
Jim

The list:
John Calvin
Martin Luther
Charles Hodge
Robert Haldane
John Brown
Martin Lloyd-Jones
W.G.T. Shedd
James Boice
Herman Hanko (I think) Maybe it is Herman Hoeksema
I remembered!
John Murray
D.G. Barnhouse

Last edited:
Thanks again for all you suggestions!:D
BTW I'm currently reading John Brown's commentary on Romans and reviewing Robert Haldane's which I've read before and am finding a virtual feast for my soul. :book2:
Has anyone else read those two books???
Jim

Thanks again for all you suggestions!:D
BTW I'm currently reading John Brown's commentary on Romans and reviewing Robert Haldane's which I've read before and am finding a virtual feast for my soul. :book2:
Has anyone else read those two books???
Jim
I know that M.Lloyd Jones did recommends Haldane on Romans very much!

Morris--meaning Leon, Morris IVP Eerdman's. Great commentary for his research into other commentators' works.

Hard to beat Hodge and Murray, though!

I would ad C.E.B. Cranfield (only if you know Greek) and John Stott - see [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Message-Romans-World-Bible-Speaks/dp/0830812466;[/ame] also Nygren and Godet. If you can read Dutch Ridderbos!

Last edited:
To this excellent list must be added Bruce (Tyn), Fitzmyer (AB), Dumbrell, Jewett (Herm), Melanchthon, and Mounce (NAC). I believe that Peter Martyr Vermigli's commentary has also been published. If you read Latin, then try to get hold of Matthew Poole's Synopsis Criticorum. Watch also for the new series of Reformation commentary. It will be like the ACCS, only Reformation texts instead of ECF. Carl Trueman is editing the Romans 1-8 volume.

N.T Wright's in New Interpreter's Commentary. Very strong in Intertestamental and inter/innertextual issues. This is a must read for anyone "working" through Romans today. Good for both English and primary language readers. Highly recommended.

Syd

N.T Wright's in New Interpreter's Commentary. Very strong in Intertestamental and inter/innertextual issues. This is a must read for anyone "working" through Romans today. Good for both English and primary language readers. Highly recommended.

Syd

(sotto voce) John, we try not to mention Wright around here. <cough>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back