Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
I can only buy one right now.

Which is better?

0802823173m.jpg
0801065941m.jpg

0802843417m.jpg
0851512135m.jpg

Do you have Stuart Olyott's The Gospel as it Really Is or John Stott's Bible Speaks Today commentary on Romans? Or what about R.J. Rushdoony's commentary on Romans and Galatians?

I did hear Don Carson say that Douglas Moo's commentary interacts with the NPP. Obviously Charles Hodge's is not so up to date in that respect (don't know about Jim Boice, and you should keep in mind that his is expository sermons, not a formal commentary).

You may want to consider Robert Haldane's Geneva Commentary as well.

Do you have Stuart Olyott's The Gospel as it Really Is or John Stott's Bible Speaks Today commentary on Romans? Or what about R.J. Rushdoony's commentary on Romans and Galatians?

None of the Above. I have a gift card to WTS's Bookstore so they have to have it.

If you want my two cents, eliminate Jim Boice as 4 volumes is probably too long winded, and get Douglas Moo and John Stott. The first is more technical, the second more devotional. :2cents:

None of the Above. I have a gift card to WTS's Bookstore so they have to have it.

If you want my two cents, eliminate Jim Boice as 4 volumes is probably too long winded, and get Douglas Moo and John Stott. The first is more technical, the second more devotional. :2cents:

I wouldn't discount Stott, but Lloyd-Jones is worthy of a read. Of course, it might be considered long-winded by some. It's excellent from a devotional point of view.

Moo without a doubt. You can get Hodge for free for your computer (Word Search is free and so is the Hodge). Murray is always worth reading, but Moo is the most up-to-date of the ones you are considering. I also like Cranfield's 2 vols. in the ICC series. Boice is good for sermonic/devotional ideas.

I recommend Robert Haldane's commentary on Romans. It is amazing! BUt, if your choice must be between the four you listed I recommend choosing Hodge (and then buy Haldane!)
Jim

Last edited:
For me, it would be a toss-up. I presently have a superabundance of Romans commentary, and so might grab either Moo or Boice since I have neither. But if I had none, I would get Murray and Hodge.

If you can get Hodge free, then buy Murray. But if I had to buy Hodge (as hard as it is to turn aside from getting Murray) I would get Hodge first.

Really? Yes, really. I personally have gotten more from Hodge than from Murray, although I have occasionally sided with Murray over Hodge, when they infrequently differ. Murray is more modern, and so you get those benefits. But if you want up-to-date, then why not buy Moo? He will tell you what Murray said, where relevant.

Boice, if you want to experience a master preacher unfolding Romans' richness, distilling his massive scholarship for the people.

I have found Moo very helpful in light of recent controversies such as FV and NPP. When I recently had to pack up my office and was only able to keep a few books out, Moo was the one Romans commentary I kept on the shelf.

If you want to interact more with modern Pauline scholars, Moo is the one to buy.
If you want to have a solid foundation in Reformed Theology, Murray and Hodge are the ones to go. Murray for more exegetical richness.

So it really depends what are you looking for in a commentary.

I would buy Hodge first. :2cents:

Also, not on your list, but very useful is A Commentary on Romans by William G. T. Shedd.

I have also profited much from reading Analytical Exposition of the Apostle Paul to the Romans by John Brown, D. D. (Oliphant, Anderson & Ferrier: Edinburg, 1883)-- but I don't think it's in print any longer.

I have read Moo twice and think it is great. Plus if Carson's recommendation is a good signal.

You can get Hodge very cheap used on something like half.com.My copy was under $10. I would recommend Moo as the best more technical commentary.

Second to him is Schreiner in the Baker Exegetical series. Schreiner is quite familiar with the NPP, teaches at SBTS, and as a bonus, sat under the leadership of John Piper. I've found him very helpful, as well as having the best visual formatting.

Sterling,
I agree with you about John Brown's commentary. It is one of the best! In fact, I recommend all of his commentaries. You can still find copies of Brown's Romans commentary At Abe books or Amazon.
Jim

Charlie, I agree with you on Schreiner. Interestingly, Carson recommends Moo over Thomas Schreiner, Charles Cranfield, and James Dunn. In my book, that just about settles it on which one to buy from among the modern technical commentaries. But, Romans has always been an embarrassment of riches in terms of excellent commentaries.

I think that if you could have only two commentaries on Romans, and these two commentaries had to be well-rounded enough to serve both academic and pastoral purposes, I'd definitely say go with Moo and Schreiner.

If your finances go sour and you had to sell one of those commentaries in order to help feed your family - or fill your gas tank - then I'd say sell Schreiner and keep Moo.

Moo's Romans commentary is superb.

Schreiner is good. Moo is good and technical. A little quirky on Romans 7. He is Lutheran. Both Moo and Schreiner give a lot of exposition. Pound for pound per verse, they are quite good.

I have Hodge, Murray, Haldane, Cranfield, Lenski, Calvin, Plumer, Henry, Morris, and a couple of others. I like Murray the best, have not used Moo, but would also make an honorable mention to Morris for his interaction with the text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back