Sabbatarianism and Job Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ye_Olde_Heidelberger

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello folks, I am currently applying for summer jobs to help finance my seminary education. I am wondering at what stage of the hiring process it would be appropriate to mention that I am not available to work Sundays. Would it be odd to mention this directly in my cover letter? Or something to wait to talk about in an actual interview?

Personally, I would not put it on the cover letter. If the establishment that you get hired at is open on Sunday, I would just bring up the fact that you are unavailable that day if you get the job or in the interview face-to-face.

Bring it up when they ask about your availability or when offered the job.
Sabbath observing Christians are a legally protected category, so they have to accommodate you. If they don't you can get a lawyer, if you feel it's worth the hassle.

I "think" but could not find an old thread on this, but you should have your church elders provide a letter backing up the church's belief?

If it's a job where Sundays off would a highly unusual accommodation (like working for an NFL team), so that you're looking for a special employer who's willing to make such an unusual accommodation, then it might be worth mentioning in the cover letter. But for 99% of jobs, a cover letter is not the place to bring up such requests. Wait until you're asked about your availability or you get to a spot in the process where you can tell that the employer is assuming you will work any day. At that point, bring it up, and at the same time volunteer to work other undesirable shifts to compensate for the Sundays off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back