Situational v.s. Clinical Depression: How can you tell the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Catholic

Puritan Board Freshman
The difference between situational and clinical/genetic depression. In the case of situational depression, I would agree with many of the posters who have counseled against medicine, and promoted depending on the Lord. In the case of clinical depression, I would not agree with that advice. In that case medicine, or even ECT treatments can and have helped many.
Greetings.

This is a very helpful comparison that I agree with, especially with the related advice for each of the two cases, however, I am wondering how one would be able to differentiate between the two, especially in the middle of battling depression? I'm inclined to think that almost all cases of depression have at least some level of "situation" or things that may have led to the depression.

In other words, if you don't see the differentiation between clinical & situational depression, a simpler question would be how one can biblically determine whether their case warrants going the medical route (ie. anti-depressant drugs, etc...)

Greetings.

This is a very helpful comparison that I agree with, especially with the related advice for each of the two cases, however, I am wondering how one would be able to differentiate between the two, especially in the middle of battling depression? I'm inclined to think that almost all cases of depression have at least some level of "situation" or things that may have led to the depression.

In other words, if you don't see the differentiation between clinical & situational depression, a simpler question would be how one can biblically determine whether their case warrants going the medical route (ie. anti-depressant drugs, etc...)
I'm no psychiatrist but you can't do this without training. The doctor's are good at what they do.
It's nice the whole situational/clinical distinction but they are arbitrary and so the analogy only goes so far. As far as a biblical basis goes I would say both spiritual/pastor and physical/medical/psychiatric is the way to go. You don't wanna be responsible for someone harming themselves or others because you thought is totally spiritual. Most pastors have some awareness on when one ends and the other other other begins.

I'm no psychiatrist but you can't do this without training. The doctor's are good at what they do.
It's nice the whole situational/clinical distinction but they are arbitrary and so the analogy only goes so far. As far as a biblical basis goes I would say both spiritual/pastor and physical/medical/psychiatric is the way to go. You don't wanna be responsible for someone harming themselves or others because you thought is totally spiritual. Most pastors have some awareness on when one ends and the other other other begins.
Jamey,

I would generally agree with what you said. The only problem I would have is regarding the state of modern psychiatry. It seems like nowadays, "mental health problems" are being heavily over-diagnosed, and the degree to which things such as secular materialism, big pharma seeking as much profit as possible from medical purchases, etc... plays a role in this - that I do not know. But especially with the secular materialism part, I am fairly confident that most if not all modern psychiatrists are at least a bit affected by that worldview. That is where the problem arises.

Jamey,

I would generally agree with what you said. The only problem I would have is regarding the state of modern psychiatry. It seems like nowadays, "mental health problems" are being heavily over-diagnosed, and the degree to which things such as secular materialism, big pharma seeking as much profit as possible from medical purchases, etc... plays a role in this - that I do not know. But especially with the secular materialism part, I am fairly confident that most if not all modern psychiatrists are at least a bit affected by that worldview. That is where the problem arises.
I completely agree. What my point is in general I most psychiatrists are professional, regardless of their worldview. Even in a totally depraved state they can't escape the image of God, common grace, or being in his creation. Those three things keep them from being as bad as they could be. They're inconsistent in their worldview.

I think I agree with Jamey that there isn't always a clear distinction, and that this simply requires much wisdom in each case. Furthermore, I've found that while specific life situations can sometimes help tip me over into clinical depression, there's a lifelong disposition toward melancholy that I've just had to learn to cope with. I think the Lord has graciously helped me mature in dealing with it both spiritually and in other ways, and He certainly could take it away altogether; but I don't necessarily expect that He will.

I also agree that overmedication is a problem; however, I've also heard a misconception here and there that antidepressants are a kind of magic bullet that allow people to avoid confronting their deeper problems. I suppose the latter is possible. Speaking from my own experience, though, sometimes a mild antidepressant is a first step toward actually having the energy and mental clarity available to *start* dealing with one's problems, whatever their nature. In that regard, I count them a blessing, even though there are tradeoffs, as with most medical treatments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back