The Marketing Brief from Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin

Puritan Board Junior
This is no joke. A press release from a marketing firm bragging of its success in reviving a dying church (in England.) The company is called "Propaganda."

News // Press Release

Even God needs help sometimes "“ dramatic success with the marketing brief from hell

In November 2004, Propaganda was approached by Channel 4 to see if a church in Lundwood, a small mining village near Barnsley in South Yorkshire, could be saved from closure. Attendances had reached crisis point, with only eight people in the church every Sunday. The new American vicar, who had been brought in by the Bishop of Wakefield to turn things around, was willing to see if modern marketing methods could reconnect the church with the local community. Propaganda was faced with reinvigorating the biggest, most controversial, emotive and failing brand in the world; this was the marketing brief from hell. After the year-long Church Lite campaign, Propaganda has helped to increase attendance by 1000%, with the congregation reaching an average of over 50 people every Sunday. The trials, tribulations and ultimate success of the project will be aired on Channel 4 in a three-part documentary called Priest Idol which begins on 14th November.

After the year-long Church Lite campaign, Propaganda has helped to increase attendance by 1000%Propaganda developed the concept of Church Lite after months of research within the parish showed that many people felt that church was stuffy, preachy and boring. However, it also uncovered that people were looking for a place of solace, where they could get away from the stresses and strains of modern life. Propaganda´s Church Lite brand removed these negative aspects and communicated how the church can actually provide a solution to people´s everyday problems.

Billboards and placards showing images of the church with messages such as "˜Now with 50% less stuffiness´ and "˜More conversation than conversion´ were installed around the community; a garden party launch event was held, which attracted over 250 people; and a "˜lite´ service was conducted that included the gospel choir from the New Testament of God Church in Leeds and a talk from comedian and practising Christian Jimmy Cricket. By engaging with the local community on a level that they could understand, and in an accessible language which meets the needs of modern society, people began to come back to church.

Steve Dixon, Propaganda´s executive creative director, said: "œIt is without doubt the most potentially controversial brief that I have ever worked on; "˜the church´ is simply the biggest brand that exists. Attempting to drive change amongst an audience that was either fundamentally traditionalist or just plain apathetic provided immense challenges. Church Lite was an honest campaign about re-engaging with the community, listening to people, reaching out to them and trying to make the church relevant to their lives. I genuinely believe that the situation we found in Lundwood could be replicated in the majority of parishes around the country. The church must take on the responsibility of breaking down barriers and find a way to communicate with modern society. With a bit of invention, creativity and a lot of belief, Church Lite proved that this can be achieved."

http://www.propaganda.co.uk/news/press-release-05/1111a.html

:um:
Robin

That is just blasphemous - no other word to describe it.

Whatever they call themselves, it is no longer a church.

Phillip

I agree with the above posts. I think this approach is very bad.

Interestingly enough, I have seen many churches - including Reformed Churches - basically take this type of approach. These churches are not as open and honest about it; but they try to appeal to 'felt needs.'

For example, one Reformed minister once said to me privately that it is easier to get church attenders in Latin America because if you offer food in poor countries, you attract people. In other words, he was saying if you appeal to carnal needs, like food, companionship, contemporary happy music, etc. you can build a bigger church.

His services entailed 30 minutes of happy Christian music, 30 minutes describing how kind Jesus is, and about two hours of socializing afterwards. (No vengeful God stuff, but I did learn a lot about soccer. In private, he would discuss that other side of God.)

I am not going to comment on whether or not this is correct. He and his superiors appear to feel that this is how you reach the lost in a very secular country like Canada.

My question is: How do you preach Reformed Theology?
How do you reach the lost in rich nations like the US?

Almost everyone - except me - has been confronted by a Jehovah Witness or Mormon. When was the last time a Reformed missionary - who did not know you were Reformed - offered to preach the Word to you in Canada or the U.S?

For the most part, it sometimes seems to me that the Reformed church really only wants to preach to the converted and not reach out to the lost in North America. I know myself personally, I have never gone up to a perfect stranger to preach the Word. This is not good.

When I was a boy, my dad told me a story. When he was a kid growing up in Holland, he knew a pastor that once went to the seedy part of a city and played cards with some unsavory characters. When he was done playing, he said something like, "Hey guys, I played cards with you at your place, how would you like to come to my place on Sunday and hear a Christian sermon?"

Was this the right way to reach the lost? I don't know. But at least he was trying to get converts. Maybe the guys in the above post can be at least credited for at least TRYING to get converts.

Interestingly enough this type of approach didn't work for me. Ten years of happy music, happy God sermons at a Vineyard-type church just left me confused.

I hate to admit it, but the article that changed my life was titled, 'God has a plan for your life, and you may not like it.' This article really explained the harsh side of God, which ironically made the Bible much more understandable. Suddenly, those passages that were so mysterious to me began to make sense.

Unfortunately, I know that since I started reading Reformed theology, I have made no converts. There is one Pentecostal guy who I have discussed Calvinism at length with for many hours, however, I have made minimal impact. Ironically, his counter-arguments have forced me sharpen my own theology. I fear I have gained more from these discussions than him.

The question remains: how do you reach the lost?

In the past 2 or 3 years I have kept a list of web sites that I think are particularly good at addressing specific Christian issues. I guess in the back of my mind I want a list of resources that a person can go to to learn about Christian issues. My dream is that if someone comes to me and says, ' Hey I want to learn more about Calvinism, or the so-called Prosperity doctrine I hear Benny Hinn preaching,' I can give him a web site article that can simply explain basic Christian concepts.

I've even thought of developing a web site that would have links to succinct, straightforward, easy-to-read, contemporary Christian articles. You know, stuff a person with little education, like me, can quickly grasp.

One Pentecostal lady I know is quite hostile to Calvinism. I thought to myself, 'how can I best introduce her to Calvinism?' Though she is very smart, I knew that if I gave her an academic dissertation on Calvinism, she wouldn't take the time to read it.

I sent her the link below and hoped that the sermon included would somehow succinctly explain the Sovereignty of God. I thought this sermon was a great introduction to Reformed theology.

The sermon was Biblically based. It was also short, it was simple, and it appealed to the emotions. I hate to say it but many people just don't have the discipline to handle meaty theology - even if they have attended church for many years. From my background with Vineyard, I also knew that many people need something that appeals strongly to emotions - something that draws interesting 'word pictures.'

This is the link:
http://www.salemreformed.org/RockinDoctrine.html

Anyway, sending this link appeared to accomplished nothing. Oh well, I hope God at least gives me some credit for trying.

How do you reach people with Reformed Theology? I would guess that 95% of North Americans have no understanding of Reformed theology.

Was the link I sent this lady really good? I think it is great, but what do I know?

Are there better web sites that can give non-Calvinists an introduction to Calvinism?

As horrible as the carnal marketing techniques are in the 'Church Lite' article, are many Reformed people in danger because we do not try hard enough to reach the lost? This gives me great pause for thought.

Are we content to spend hours sitting at our computers criticizing carnal 'church marketing techniques' etc., while at the same time doing little to spread the Word?

An example of how stupid I am:
When I first read Robin's post criticizing Purpose-Driven churches, I thought she was supporting them.

Oh, I just noticed a mistake. No human converts people to God; only God converts hearts.

I should have said I have not evangelized to a newly converted Christian yet.

Henry,

I don't know how they spread the Gospel, and you know not everyone has the gift of evangelism, they don't know how to go up and talk to perfect strangers and share their faith, others like myself have no problem doing so.

I guess I find talking about Christ is as natural as talking about my husband or my children, or other friends that I have. It's like "I'd like you to tell you about a friend of mine, His name is Jesus." Or let me tell You about my friend Jesus...or even "Let me tell you what a friend of mine has done for me" and then I share some answered prayers, and many of them they say things like "Oh, I'd love to have a friend like that...someone who is there for me like that, and I tell them "you can, I can introduce you to Him if You'd like." and then I proceed to tell them about Jesus.

I can even be looking at cards at the local grocery store and someone else is standing there and I will hand them a card I either found funny or comforting, and strike up a conversation with them.

But to me, evangelizing is more about the intial introduction, but what we need are more disciples, those who will be there when the evangelist is gone, people who will take the time to disciple and train them and teach them about the deeper aspects of our faith. So even though I can share my faith openly like that, I prefer to come later and help teach the deeper aspects of our faith, to help them grow past the initial introduction.

The initial introduction even if using billboards and fancy signs, is one thing, but if their is no teaching past the initial introduction then something is still missing, because they remain as infants, and a church filled with unfed infants is going to die of starvation.

So even if this church in England is bringing in the people, if the people aren't being fed once they get there and maturing and growing in their faith no amount of advertising is going to sustain the church.

[Edited on 11-20-2005 by BJClark]

I guess my point is that the crass marketing techniques in the original post are problematic, however, I am careful about being critical. This is especially in light of the fact that in Canada and the US, churches SEEM to do little to promote Christianity.

Oh sure, we have people like you, Reformed mississionaries, but our efforts collectively pale in comparison to the JW, Mormons, Benny Hinns, etc.

While you and the other members of the board can have great pride in advancing the gospel, I know that in my little corner of the world I better be careful of criticizing others - and start focusing on how I can do better.

groupthink: is "˜a mode of thinking that people engage in when they are deeply involved in a cohesive in-group, when the members´ striving for unanimity overrides their motivation to realistically appraise alternative courses of action´ (Janis, 1972).

You know, I started reading the PB about 4 months ago. I silently debated whether or not I should join. On one hand, I see really knowledgable people that know the Bible. On the other hand, I see other things that make me wonder, like people who engage in incredibly lengthy debates over the 2nd commandment, or people who make hundreds if not thousands of posts per year. Many of these posts are football, movies, baseball, etc.

I don't know what to think.

I am going to leave. Good bye. Please cancel my membership.

I wish you all the best. Where I'm wrong, please forgive me.

Originally posted by Robin

. Propaganda was faced with reinvigorating the biggest, most controversial, emotive and failing brand in the world; this was the marketing brief from hell. After the year-long Church Lite campaign, Propaganda has helped to increase attendance by 1000%, with the congregation reaching an average of over 50 people every Sunday. The trials, tribulations and ultimate success of the project will be aired on Channel 4 in a three-part documentary called Priest Idol which begins on 14th November.

Robin

Just sick :barfy:

However, it also uncovered that people were looking for a place of solace, where they could get away from the stresses and strains of modern life.

All you need is a good coffee shop to do this. NOT the job of the church!

How far society has strayed, making the function of the church to make them feel good rather than worshipping GOD!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back