Two election senses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
Are there two aspects of election in Paul's thought in Romams 9-11? I am thinking namely with regard to 11:28b and that Paul regards Israel as still beloved due to election of the patriarchs.

I went around in circles over this a few years ago and found John Murray's commentary on Romans to be quite helpful.

Here's how I'd approach it now. We can't separate God's actions in history (to elect and save anyone verses specifically electing and saving the Jews). But we can separate the time in history when people are generally elected from all ethnic groups and the eschatological hope of a specific awakening among those who are ethnic Jews. It's the latter point that I really stumbled over, but could find no better explanation for the text after hearing if from our pulpit, then reading Mr. Murray from roughly Romans 9 to 12 to be sure I had the context.

What's hard is knowing that much of "the latter day" is all of history from the time of Christ until His return. Placing events within this huge chunk of time seems akin to pre-millennial thinking. But, I really couldn't get past that this is what Romans 11 seems to be saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back