Works of John Duns Scotus

Status
Not open for further replies.

FenderPriest

Puritan Board Junior
I'm looking for the works of Scotus online, and I'm not really finding anything. I'm looking for a work of his called, "The Doctrine of the Absolute Primacy of Christ in the Universe" and I'm not finding it any where. To begin with, I was wondering if anybody has it, knows where to get it, or anything along the lines of knowing what its about. Secondly, I was wondering if anybody has read it, if they could give a summary of it here. All I know of the work is what Phillip Yancy talked about in his article last month in Christianity Today: Ongoing Incarnation: Would Christmas have come even if we had not sinned?. I was interested in the work, so if anybody can help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Hi, I saw that no one replied to your thread. I spoke of Scotus in my sunday school class last week in my introduction to Pascal's letters. I also started a thread that got little attention, and I hate to see yours goto waste. I first goggled John Duns Scotus and got 1 interesting link about philosophy (which is my forte') John Duns Scotus (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy) I then googled The Doctrine of the Absolute Primacy of Christ in the Universe, and got a few interesting links to check out. Most of them were modern catholic ones, but there were a few interesting links.

As Leaven in the World: Catholic ... - Google Book Search

that link above was the most interesting.

I was teaching the history of the Thomists vs. Franciscans, so i don't know to much about him, I just hate to see a good thread go to waste. I'm not a big fan of Yancy either. It seems alot of people read that article. Enjoy and God Bless!

I don't know if you will find this in English, but I think what you are looking for is found in Scotus' Opus Oxoniense (Oxford Lectures):

Ioannes Duns Scotus, Opus Oxoniense, I, dist. 2, q. 1 & 2 : Whether there is an infinite being ? [English translation].
Ioannes Duns Scotus, Opus Oxoniense, III, dist. 3, q. 1: Utrum beata Virgo concepta fuerit in peccato originali ? [textus latinus].
Ioannes Duns Scotus, Opus Oxoniense, III, dist. 4, q. un: Utrum beata Virgo fuerit vere mater Dei et hominis ? [textus latinus].
Ioannes Duns Scotus, Opus Oxoniense, III, dist. 7, q. 3: Utrum Christus praedestinatus sit esse Filius Dei ? [textus latinus].
Ioannes Duns Scotus, Opus Oxoniense, III, dist. 8, q. un: Utrum in Christo sint duae filiationes reales ? [textus latinus].
Ioannes Duns Scotus, Opus Oxoniense, IV, dist. 30, q. 2: Utrum inter beatam virginem Mariam et S. Ioseph fuerit verum matrimonium ? [textus latinus].

Source: http://www.scholasticon.fr/bibliotheca.html

His Treatise on God as First Principle is available online in English here:

John Duns Scotus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back