2-2 Adjectives

Status
Not open for further replies.

FenderPriest

Puritan Board Junior
So, in Chapter 9 of Mounce's book he makes a quick reference to 2-2 Adjectives. He says the 2-2 pattern is when "the masculine and the feminine follow the second declension; the neuter also follows the second declension by with some variation" (68). He then refers to a chart in the back that I do not understand. Can anybody give me any insight into how the 2-2 functions?

I've not heard the term, though it strikes me as being a two-termination adjective. What words does he give as an example?

The adj must match the gender of the noun being modified. So an adj can either be fem\masc\neut. Normally when the adj. is modifiing fem noun it will follow 1st decl and when the adj. is modifiying a masc. noun it will follow 2nd decl. 2-2 adjs, will follow the 2nd decl if it is modifying a masc or fem noun.

Hi Jacob,

I'm not 100% sure about what you're looking for, but I'll take a stab at it. There are four categories of adjectives -- 3-1-3, 2-1-2, 3-3, and 2-2. Regarding the first two categories, the masculine and neuter follow the same declension, whereas the feminine follows the first declension. Regarding the last two categories, 2-2 and 3-3, the masculine, feminine and neuter folllow the same declension. *The masculine and feminine of 2-2 and 3-3 adjectives use the same case endings.*

I know I'm a little late here in replying, but thanks guy! Not only did you guys give the helpful and correct answer, but Mounce explained the notation a few chapters later! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back