A Brakel on Faith?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
Unlike Grant, I haven't gone from beginning to end through the Christian's Reasonable service. Rather I have been treating it as a reference.
Anyway, perusing through the Chapter: Concerning Faith A Brakel states in the picture: Screenshot_20210724-193612.png
What is your take? Am I not informed of the context?
I was under the impression and have heard it said, or I read it somewhere rather (though I cannot recall where) that faith is trusting in the promises of Christ and applying them to yourself. Brakel seems to transfer this to assurance. Sometimes I wonder if talk like this on assurance isn't a form of a second blessing in the league with charismatics.

Basically, he is denying that assurance of one's personal salvation is not of the essence of saving faith. I do wonder, though, if something is lost in translation here - especially at the beginning of this extract?

Trent I went back over my own notes on this chapter and I marked out the same section you have noted in the OP as being very thought provoking. I do believe that section really needs the context of the entire 32nd AND 33rd chapter.

Brakel, I think, is making a good distinction here, otherwise every single moment you or I doubted being elect (emphasis MY savior vs. THE savior) then it could be argued that we lost the essence of faith entirely.

Brakel goes through great pains it seems to understanding: what is the “essence”?

After Brakel spends many paragraphs explaining things that he thinks are important to faith but not essential, he simplifies what the essence of faith is for all believers. For Brakel the essence of faith is found “ in a heartfelt trust to be brought to salvation by Christ“ (Vol. II, pg. 278). After Brakel belabours many points, for me, he really lands the plane by showing us that we need to always engage our wills (where faith is seated as opposed to intellect), in the promises of Christ. You might have a season where are you doubt that Christ really died for you, or a season where you wonder if you are the elect, or a season where you just have many doubts in about the Word. Brakel calls the reader to remember that assurance is properly viewed as a fruit and to keep looking to Christ who died for the Elect.

I think Brakel’s explanation also helps us to be reminded that we need to daily engage our wills in working out our salvation with fear and trembling. That’s my two cents.

Trent I went back over my own notes on this chapter and I marked out the same section you have noted in the OP as being very thought provoking. I do believe that section really needs the context of the entire 32nd AND 33rd chapter.

Brakel, I think, is making a good distinction here, otherwise every single moment you or I doubted being elect (emphasis MY savior vs. THE savior) then it could be argued that we lost the essence of faith entirely.

Brakel goes through great pains it seems to understanding: what is the “essence”?

After Brakel spends many paragraphs explaining things that he thinks are important to faith but not essential, he simplifies what the essence of faith is for all believers. For Brakel the essence of faith is found “ in a heartfelt trust to be brought to salvation by Christ“ (Vol. II, pg. 278). After Brakel belabours many points, for me, he really lands the plane by showing us that we need to always engage our wills (where faith is seated as opposed to intellect), in the promises of Christ. You might have a season where are you doubt that Christ really died for you, or a season where you wonder if you are the elect, or a season where you just have many doubts in about the Word. Brakel calls the reader to remember that assurance is properly viewed as a fruit and to keep looking to Christ who died for the Elect.

I think Brakel’s explanation also helps us to be reminded that we need to daily engage our wills in working out our salvation with fear and trembling. That’s my two cents.
Oh I see. I will continue on. I was taken aback when I saw that.
Thank you!

This is the normal reformed view. Believing that Christ died “for me” belongs to assurance, not saving faith. It is an important distinction that a Brakel lays out well.

This is the normal reformed view. Believing that Christ died “for me” belongs to assurance, not saving faith. It is an important distinction that a Brakel lays out well.
I have been looking, does Brakel with the idea of a reflex act of faith?
While faith is more than assent obviously he says that it's opposite is doubt. I am not sure if he means doubt in our salvation or that Christ can save. Then what of the mustard seed faith? Luke 17:6
How can one be sure that faith is from the will and 'strong' enough?

Is there a difference with Boston and the Marrow men? "A particular persuasion of my heart that Jesus Christ is mine and that I shall have life and salvation by his means, and whatsoever Christ did for the redemptions of mankind, he did it for me" (Boston, Works, Vol.7, p.478)

I have been looking, does Brakel with the idea of a reflex act of faith?
While faith is more than assent obviously he says that it's opposite is doubt. I am not sure if he means doubt in our salvation or that Christ can save. Then what of the mustard seed faith? Luke 17:6
How can one be sure that faith is from the will and 'strong' enough?

Is there a difference with Boston and the Marrow men? "A particular persuasion of my heart that Jesus Christ is mine and that I shall have life and salvation by his means, and whatsoever Christ did for the redemptions of mankind, he did it for me" (Boston, Works, Vol.7, p.478)
Trent,

If your asking more for personal wrestling I would point you to the end of the chapter where Brakel will typically address the saint and give a final admonishing/encouragement. I would recommend the ends of 32 and 33.

For me, one of the greatest evidences of faith is sorrow over sin. Particularly sins that no human knows about. I am not familiar with Marrow Men. I will say from your quote that I think Boston provides a good summary. Often with Brakel I find I need to digest his full chapter or even a few to grasp the larger picture.

Trent,

If your asking more for personal wrestling I would point you to the end of the chapter where Brakel will typically address the saint and give a final admonishing/encouragement.
Ah. Brakel's definitions made me wonder a bit. He is very in-depth and had me consider ideas about faith I haven't before.

Ah. Brakel's definitions made me wonder a bit. He is very in-depth and had me consider ideas about faith I haven't before.
Same for me. If you haven’t already read every line in those chapters, I recommend. From all his chapters I have read so far, I think I would say those 2 (32 & 33), were chapters I needed to read in entirety to gain a deeper appreciation for Brakel’s angles on faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back