A couple more interesting Logos Pre-pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenneth_Murphy

Puritan Board Freshman
Today I see a couple more interesting pre-pubs were listed.

• Title: History of the Reformation in the Time of Calvin (8 vol) Author: Jean Henri Merle d’Aubigne for $70.00.
  • The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge $150.00

Both of these seem like they would be good fits for having in some type of electronic format as they both contain a lot of topics and persons names etc.

I know google has PDF scans of the Encyclopedia set, so there are some other options out there.

My course work reading list includes the History of the Reformation (first half) so I'll likely get that one. I'm not so sure on the encyclopedias. I do enjoy reading those types of articles so I'm sure there is quite a bit in there of interest. But I'm leaning towards just using the google scans.

Anyone find they use this encyclopedia set frequently?

Sincerely,
Kenneth

Ken, I just finished reading d’Aubigne in PDF form. This is one of those books I value and will use again. However, I cannot see any reason to have it in the Libronix format. For the types of searches I plan on doing in it, Adobe is just fine. With 4,158 resources in Libronix, it is slowly dawning on me that sometimes Ages is good enough (and a VERY good piece of stewardship), particularly when there are truly valuable resources such as John Owen pouring forth in Libronix format.

My rule of thumb is that anything that requires more complex searches is probably worth having in Libronix. Reading a book or looking up a word, name, or phrase in a particular resource is just fine in PDF for me.

Dennis,

Thanks for the tip. I missed it when I looked on AGES, so didn't realize they had d'Aubigne's history. Going back again I see they have it as part of their Biblical and Church history collection. I may indeed get that instead. I don't like many of the Google books where the pages are only image scans that are hard to work with. But if AGES has this as an OCR'd PDF then it would probably work fine. I can just annotate it up with a PDF annotator program. That is one thing I do like about LOGOS is their own works can be annotated and highlighted etc which is how I do best when reading works for classes. But I think I can do with AGES what I can with LOGOS regarding annotations. I'll at least have to get something from AGES so I'll know for sure and only rule them out if I find something I just can't do, that I need to.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back