A View of Forgiveness

Status
Not open for further replies.

D. Paul

Puritan Board Sophomore
This article was emailed to me. Since I am working on developing "A Puritan's Mind" it struck me in several different ways. I now ask those of you who are further advanced to give me your critique. Is this more of the commonplace "Evangelical" drivel or is there substance that I am failing to recognize? I think and hope I already have the answer but...

Here's the link:
http://www.lifetime.org/equipped/dj2005-05.php

Well, I may not be "further advanced" than you, but I'll offer my critique just the same.

You ask if its "drivel" or "substance" ....
well, I think the fact that he talked about "snuggling" with God more than once answers our "drivel" question. He then follows it up with "Throw your arms around His neck and let Him give you a big ol´ squeeze!"
Boy is that ever cheesy!

He does have "substance", however; I just think its not good substance. For example:
"...many apparently don´t realize that they violate what they profess by regularly asking God to forgive them! Since Jesus solved our problem, asking God for forgiveness"”post salvation"”is offensive-to-God unbelief."

Lets see: saying "Lord, forgive me for what I did today" is actually OFFENSIVE to God?

This guy is just re-hashing the same old mindless stuff that's been circulating around for years. Why bother even writing a worn-out article like that? I think we're supposed to be real impressed because it sounds like a radical and new teaching! Wow!

To those of you who haven't gone to the article yet, I'd recommend not wasting your time. Unless, of course, you do so to post another bitter critique like mine! :lol:

So, what do you think, D. Paul? Are we on the same wavelength here?

Yeah, I guess so, because when I was finished reading I just said "Huh?"

I could wait for further replies but I'll give a little more background:
The friend who sent that to me suggested I prepare to have my "socks blessed off." Well, I'm still wearing socks. See, my friend (and he is a friend...not close, but a friend) was in our store not too long ago and we got sort of chatting about the condition of church today. I mentioned the influence of WOF preachers as insidious. He agreed they're far out but admitted they "may be on to something" and then mentioned Brian McLaren. I was in the middle of a small repair but began searching mental archives...Brian McLaren, Brian McLaren...

I said, "You mean BM of the Emergent Church?" and he got very animated and rattled on for a good five mins. While I thought "Oh no, not another one." My friend has also just started his own website so I'm expecting to get more of this kind of "substance".:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back