Does your Church have an "Activity Center"?
An activity center is most often a building like a gymnasium, there are typically classrooms in the building, but the buildings main purpose is for recreational events. I find it highly unlikely that many, if any, reformed churches have them. The church I am leaving is preparing to build one (this is one of the factors in my decision to leave), and I was just curious as to other people's thoughts on Activity Centers.
What's your problem with an activity center? If the church can support it (and not go into debt) and it ministers to the families then what is the problem?
I think that at least part of his point is something with which those who listen to the White Horse Inn will be familiar. Michael Horton et al. talk about how the Church is a place where we come to worship and to partake in the means of grace each Lord's Day, but that many churches have become social clubs where Christians spend all their time during the week instead of being out in the world serving their neighbor. We have church basketball one night, mid-week service, men's bible study, women's bible study, etc., and we turn Church into a place we habitate instead of a "launching pad," as it were, to which we are called out of the world to worship and receive from God. In that sense it can become monastic. We live in the Church and sometimes come out into the world instead of being pilgrims in the world who are called out of it into church at the appropriate times.
Of course I'm not saying that it's wrong in all cases to have an activity center, nor do I assume that this was the implication of the OP. I think he's just questioning the mindset which can sometimes accompany such church appendages.[/QUOTE
I love Michael Horton's saying, "God doesn't need our service but our neighbor does."
Saying that, I have no fixed opinon regarding an activity center.