Actor Heath Ledger dead at 28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Bruckner

Puritan Board Professor
Heath Ledger found dead in NYC at age 28

6 minutes ago

celebs: Heath Ledger | Michelle Williams | Cate Blanchett

Associated Press

NEW YORK - Heath Ledger was found dead Tuesday at a downtown Manhattan apartment, and police said drugs may have been a factor. The Australian-born actor was 28. Ledger had an appointment for a massage at the residence in the tony SoHo neighborhood, NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said. A housekeeper who went to let him know the massage therapist had arrived found him dead at 3:26 p.m.

A large crowd of paparazzi and gawkers began gathering Tuesday evening outside the building on an upscale block, where several police officers guarded the door.

Ledger was nominated for an Oscar for "Brokeback Mountain," where he met Michelle Williams in 2005. The two lived together in Brooklyn and had a daughter, Matilda, until they split up last year.

Ledger most recently appeared in "I'm Not There," in which he played one of the many incarnations of Bob Dylan ƒƒ‚‚ as did Cate Blanchett, whose performance in that film earned an Oscar nomination Tuesday for best supporting actress.

Ledger was to appear as the Joker this year in "The Dark Night," a sequel to 2005's "Batman Begins." He's had starring roles in "A Knight's Tale" and "The Patriot," and played the suicidal son of Billy Bob Thornton in "Monster's Ball."

Ledger grew up in Perth, and began doing amateur theater at age 10. At 16, he moved to Sydney to pursue an acting career, quickly landing TV movie roles and guest spots on Australian television.

After several independent films and a starring role in the short-lived Fox TV series "Roar," Ledger moved to Los Angeles and costarred in "10 Things I Hate About You," a teen comedy reworking of "The Taming of the Shrew."

Offers for other teen flicks came his way, but Ledger turned them down, preferring to remain idle than sign on for projects he didn't like.

"It wasn't a hard decision for me," Ledger told the Associated Press in 2001. "It was hard for everyone else around me to understand. Agents were like, 'You're crazy,' my parents were like, 'Come on, you have to eat.'"

___
http://Oh, my goodness.yahoo.com/heath-ledger-found-dead-in-nyc/news/5898
Associated Press Sara Kugler contributed to this report.
 
Sad... More than likely he wasn't reconciled to the Lord.

I remember seeing him in the Patriot and thougt he was really talented. When I heard that he was the star of "Brokeback Mountan", I felt pity and disgust.
 
yeah, he seemed like a "good" kid.

You just never know what someone is wrestling with.
I remember his last scene in Monster's Ball really stunned me.
Sickened me.

I wonder what this will do to the new Batman movie where he took over Nicholson's role as the Joker.
 
Sad. At first I thought I was picturing a different actor in my mind (the guy who played Batman) but it's still sad to hear of Ledger's death either way.
 
I guess he was interviewed awhile back after one of his other films came out, and he was asked about being a new father, and he commented how it changes one's thoughts about life, and death.

He said something to the effect, "although I am not afraid of death or to die, now that I have a daughter I am not ready for that, I want to be there for her, to see her grow up."

So even the rumors of this being a suicide really don't make sense...it might not be he committed suicide, it could be a reaction to the sleeping pills, or something else..but then given he and his gf and mother of his daughter recently split up, he may have been battling depression because of the break-up and not being there with his daughter.

They haven't spoken of why they split, just that they split...
 
Honestly (at first) I thought this was some kind of campaign for the 'Dark Knight'.

Note to self: these are real people though not the characters they play. Hollywood is full of sin and vice; they need to be redeemed by Christ. Pray for them.
 
Honestly (at first) I thought this was some kind of campaign for the 'Dark Knight'.

Note to self: these are real people though not the characters they play. Hollywood is full of sin and vice; they need to be redeemed by Christ. Pray for them.


:ditto:
 
It's also sad concerning Brad Renfro who also died recently...

he too was a young man, 25 years old, who left behind a 3 year old son..

Brad Renfro dies at 25; actor gained stardom in `The Client' but struggled with drugs - AOL News

In "The Client," based on a John Grisham best-seller, he played a youngster who witnesses a suicide and gets caught up in a mob investigation. Susan Sarandon was nominated for an Oscar for her role as the lawyer the boy hires to help protect him.
 
Poimen;

Note to self: these are real people though not the characters they play. Hollywood is full of sin and vice; they need to be redeemed by Christ. Pray for them.

Yes, they are real people, and yes, they too need to be redeemed by Christ..
 
hmmm, other recent deaths from the Hollywood scene were:

Suzanne Pleshette; From The Birds, and The Bob Newhart Show;

Allan Melvin, a character actor best known for playing Sam the Butcher on "The Brady Bunch," has died. He was 84.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top