OK, Bill, I think I understand what you are saying now. You are thinking that by my reference to the 2nd Coming I think that Jesus is redirecting the disciples attention to a (possibly) distant future to see the kingdom restored. No, I don't think that, nor was I trying to emphasize that aspect.
I only made reference to it to show that the disciples were still expecting an earthly kingdom of glory, and Jesus' answer indicates that aspect of their expectations should not be their main motivation. Because those hopes are hidden in the secret purposes of God, and they would not see anything like that before the final consummation. And Jesus wants them to NOT think along the lines of getting this Kingdom underway only after he takes a visible seat on a visible throne in this visible city.
The question of the disciples is revelatory of their state of mind, which is still covered in OT-glory cobwebs. I think Jesus answers their question in a way that points ahead to the pouring of the Spirit, but also is dealing with their mistaken views.
In other words,, I think it is still a species of the same lack of tight-focus to concentrate on the church as the renewed Israel (which in a sense it definitely is) instead of Christ as the fulfillment of Israel, and the church in the New Covenant age as those in whom the kingdom is simply manifested. The kingdom isn't restored to US (as the population) as it is restored to DAVID, that is to David's greater Son.
And I think that the disciples' mistake was in continuing to think of kingdom-restoration as something which was primarily to be realized in THEM and for THEM, and not thinking sufficiently of realization IN Christ, and they benefiting only so far as they are IN HIM.
So my answer to Bob's questions put forth are that Jesus HAS already had the kingdom restored to him, and therefore to THEM as well. The disciples have clearly not realized this yet; they do not realize or accept that Jesus is physically leaving them, but that he is pouring out his Spirit very shortly.
Jesus deflects the thrust of their question, in order to answer the question they should have asked. These men must get their eyes off of this world's Jerusalem, and fix them on the place where Jesus will be sitting on David's throne momentarily. They are thinking much more clearly now, since Jesus' startling victory, but they are still not quite oriented to the New Jerusalem.
So, I think that Jesus uses his weekly (Sunday) meetings with his apostles to focus them on himself as the Kingdom Personified. Soon, as they die in the flesh, in spirit they will join him in his already restored kingdom. And until then, they are to be busy in such kingdom work as they must do on earth.
By the way, those meetings didn't stop after he ascended to heaven. The fact is, he is still doing this same kind of thing with us every Sunday.