Alexander McLeod and the conclusion of the War of 1812

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I am currently reading about Alexander McLeod's view of the War of 1812 for a project that I am working on, and I thought I would share this extract from the advertisement to the second edition of his book on the subject:

The author avails himself of this opportunity of congratulating his readers upon the happy return of the desired peace. Long may we enjoy, with gratitude to our God, its numerous blessings. Its terms are liberal and just. No false principle is admitted: no right, on either side, is violated. The enemy, had he been inclined to peace, might have had the same terms, at any hour since the commencement of hostilities: and, if he had seen proper to prolong the contest for years, it is not probable he could have realized his first demands at GHENT. Had he speedily met our commissioners with a spirit of equity and conciliation, he might have spared us some blood and treasure: and he would have saved for himself much of both, as well as, that which is to him of great importance – his military renown.

Heaven ordered it otherwise. The angel of the covenant, who, notwithstanding our iniquities, presides in mercy over the destinies of our free and happy land, had decreed, that the enemy should send his veterans across the Atlantic, with their hard-earned laurels, for the purpose of transferring them to the brow of American heroes, who fought and conquered in vindication of the injured rights of their country. In the concluding blow of the war we have a guarantee that our national rights shall not again be rashly invaded. The battle of Orleans cannot be forgotten. While we live to enjoy the benefits of the pacification, and hold in honourable recollection the deeds of the soldier, let us be grateful to HIM, who gave courage to our warriors and success to our armaments, so far as seemed to himself both wise and good. Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling. He maketh wars to cease unto the ends of the earth.
New-York, March, 1, 1815

Alexander McLeod, A Scriptural View of the Character, Causes, and Ends of the Present War (2nd edn, New York: Eastburn, Kirk and Co., 1815), vii-viii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back